Dhcp from main router does not work

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-06-05 14:49:07
Region : Poland

Model : TL-WA750RE

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 3.14.8 Build 140901 Rel.60263n

ISP : Netia

Hi!

I have a WA750RE setup to extend the main router (an ISP branded one, so-called "netia spot"). The main router does not support WDS so I'm stuck with universal mode. Security is WPA.

I've setup the extender to have a dynamic IP, which is successfully obtained from the main router. DHCP set to auto results in the extender's DHCP being off. However, clients connecting to the extender fail to get an IP. I tested it by temporarily renaming the extender's SSID: connecting to the original main router gets the IP, connecting to the extender fails. In any case, I get the same even when the two have the same SSID. I get the same result also if I assign a static IP to the extender, though in that case I have to manually switch off DHCP, as auto results in it being on.

I can have the network somewhat working by turning on DHCP on both the router and the extender, splitting the IP pool between the two, however this is suboptimal as I loose the hostname resolution provided by the main router's DHCP: hosts connected to the extender cannot then be reached by hostname, which is a bummer to me.

So, are there any suggestions on how to get my setup to work properly?
Options
3 Reply
Re:Dhcp from main router does not work
2015-06-05 15:44:16
What's the brand and model number of your main router? No wireless MAC filtering rules?
Range extender mode 1 is selected, right? How about status of lights on RE after you finish configuration?
Options
2015-06-08 04:51:25
Hi,

The main router is an ISP branded one, however in one of the configuration pages it says it's a "Vtech ARX168 based Board".
I double-checked and no MAC filtering rules are in use.
For the mode I got choices "Universal mode" and "WDS Mode", and I have chosen the first (as the second is off-limits for me due to my router). By the way, AP isolation is not activated.
The status lights: "Power" is on, "Wireless" blinks, "RE" is on, signal is 3 or 4.

I can connect to both the router and the internet through the extender if I assign the machine a static IP. DHCP fails instead.
Options
2015-06-08 16:22:35
Firmware verison of your WA750RE is up to date?
Universal mode should be the right one. Besides, according to your description, the RE is running as well.
That WA750RE is using smart IP or static IP makes no difference, right?

I can connect to both the router and the internet through the extender if I assign the machine a static IP.
Actually, it is a viable solution as I think...
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 877

Replies: 3

Related Articles