C8 in Media Bridge with C9 - Packet Loss

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-07-24 07:39:17
Region : Ireland

Model : Archer C9

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

So here's my issue: after a not-as-easy-as-it-should installation, I have an archer C8 linked as a media bridge to a C9. C9 is connected to my FTTH router, C8 via Ethernet wired to my laptop. I was experiencing quite good performance, around 180 mbps in my room (second floor, C9 is in the main floor). Problem came in when I started playing online. A lot of jitter, meaning lag spikes. I run some pinging tests, just to see 1 out of every 8 packets got lost, while some others pinged all the way from 44 upto 160.

Both routers are on different IP's, I followed the instructions TP-Link provide, so I run the same pinging test to the C8. Everything's perfect there. BTW, they're bridged in 5GHz.

Any suggestions on tests or config changes I should make to make my setup stable? Thanks in advance.
Options
2 Reply
Re:C8 in Media Bridge with C9 - Packet Loss
2015-07-24 11:33:29
Is your topology as below?
FTTP Router(LAN)---(WAN)C9>>>WDS via 5GHz<<
Try WDS via 2.4GHz.
Firmware of your C8 and C9 are both up to date?
Options
Re:C8 in Media Bridge with C9 - Packet Loss
2015-07-24 19:28:09
Firmware was up to date on C9, but not C8. Just updated it. Topology is exactly the one you described.

Now I cannot even make the bridge via 5Ghz. On 2.4Ghz there is no packet loss, but I'm getting lower Mbps, 120-130 instead of the 180-190 I got previously with AC. My FTTP connection is 300Mb/30Mb, so it's kind of a big loss.

I don't know what's going wrong with the setup on the 5Ghz band. I changed IP and disabled DHCP on the C8, just as I did yesterday, rebooted, but there was no luck this time around. Also, something weird happens every single time: no matter what channel I chose on the C9 (right now 157), when linking, the C8 will say it needs to change the channel, but it always detects a different channel than the one I configured on the C9. I haven't got a clue of what's going on. On 2.4 Ghz, it was easy as pie.

Thanks for your help :)

PS: Needless to say, but using 2.4Ghz standard is not what I was looking for with this C8/C9 setup. 2.4 Ghz band is way oversaturated in my network, with 6 to 10 devices connected to it, so substandard performance is to be expected.

EDIT: SOLVED!!

Had some missconfig the second time around on the C9. Now it's getting 240-250mbps and 0% packet loss, with just 1ms jitter. Yei! Seems like C8 firmware update really did something. If only the UI was prettier, a little more clean and had less complicated configurations, this would be kind of perfect routers.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 321

Replies: 2