TL-WR702N Setup dilemma

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TL-WR702N Setup dilemma

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
TL-WR702N Setup dilemma
TL-WR702N Setup dilemma
2015-08-01 05:44:38
Region :

Model : TL-WR702N

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 5.3.2 Build 140818 Rel.37254n

ISP : N/A

Hi there,
Got so many set-up problems and questions regarding the TL-WR702N it's difficult with what to start. My biggest problem and the one you probably can't help me with is that I bought the unit through AliExpress. Consequently it's a Mainland China version and logs into a Chinese website for setting it up. With the help of Google translate I was able to at least log in and find out the current software version: 5.3.2 Build 140818 Rel.37254n... and the current hardware version: WR702N 1.0 00000000  Also got it to ping: 192.168.0.198 as the Default Gateway to the 192.168.0.100 IPv4 Ethernet Address.

Contacted "support@tp-link.com" but they say they don't have software available to flash English firmware onto my particular router, so I probably will have to get back onto the Chinese set-up website. But before I do that I need a few other things cleared up. First, I read the English documentation and it mentions: "Ensure you select to a correct country to conform local law. Incorrect settings may cause interference."  Is this going to represent a conflict?

Second, I hope to be using it in "Client Mode" in conjunction with an Analog Telephone Adapter. According to the OBi forum people this is supposed to work. The diagram I have in mind is:
"ATA(OBi100)->ethernet wired conn.->TL-WR702N->WiFi->VirtualRouter/PC->usb wired conn.->TL-WN722N (WiFi Adapter)->(Meraki hotspot) Internet". Anyone foresee any problems with the MAC of the WR702N showing up among the connected peers of my VirtualRouter after it's set up?

Next, the English doc identifies "Client mode" as "The computer connected by Ethernet could get access to an AP by Client mode." However, as you can see from the diagram, not my computer but my Analog Telephone Adapter is ethernet connected to the TL-WN722N. The connection between the TL-WN722N and my computer is supposed to be WiFi, and my computer itself is the AP? connected to the internet by WiFi. Isn't this bound to have set-up consequences, No? Is there going to be a conflict between the Meraki hotspot Wifi and the LAN WiFi?

The initial log in was slightly different than the English version too. Instead of "Admin" and "Pwrd" there was "Pwrd" and confirm "Pwrd". Since the WR702N has to communicate with my VirtualRouter I used the "Pwrd" of the latter. Probably neither here nor there?

CLIENT MODE Quick Setup:
SSID - Enter the SSID that you want to access. Is this the SSID of the VirtualRouter?
MAC of AP - Enter the MAC address of AP that you want to access. Am really confused here. Don't think the VR has a MAC address, or? Do I fill in the MAC of the PC? Where/how do I find it?

BTW, the Meraki admin. here disallows any bridge connection. So that optional diagram is out. Guess I'll leave it at that for now. Hope there is a solution to my problems...

John V

Options
2 Reply
Re:TL-WR702N Setup dilemma
2015-08-03 14:38:55
Contact fae@tp-link.com.cn for technical assistance.
Options
TL-WR702N Setup dilemma
2015-08-07 08:24:29
Thanks Tony, unfortunately it was all for naught. While I got great help from them and was (in "Client Mode") able to make the MAC of the TL-WR702N appear in the connected peer list of my virtual router, the admin of the local Meraki hotspot here appears to block the signal from my Analog Telephone Adapter. So now I'm stuck with an ATA and a wireless router I can't use. Any feasible work-arounds would be greatly appreciated.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 879

Replies: 2

Related Articles