Can I give a range extender a different network name and password to the main router?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Can I give a range extender a different network name and password to the main router?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-08-05 13:11:15 - last edited 2021-02-16 02:28:56
Model : TL-WA850RE

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP : Optus Cable

Hi,
I have a twin pack of this product and would like to use them both to set up a different network name with a DIFFERENT PASSWORD to the main cable/router.
Both of the extenders will need the same network name and password
I share the house with several others and for security reasons I want to separate all of my technology (PC, laptop, printers, phone, iPad, apple TV and chromecast) onto a different network which nobody else can log into - everyone else will be restricted to using the main router.
I can see that I can change the name of the new network but I cannot see any directions on how to change the password to be different to the main router.
I would like both of the Range Extenders to have the same network name and password so I can share files, printers etc throughout the house, but nobody else can see my files or printers.
I hope this makes sense.
Can this be done...if so how?

Thank you :confused::confused::confused:
Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Can I give a range extender a different network name and password to the main router?-Solution
2015-08-05 15:32:54 - last edited 2021-02-16 02:28:56
I'm afraid not. We can only customerize extender's SSID. Its password cannot be changed and it should be the same as the main router's Wi-Fi password.
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Can I give a range extender a different network name and password to the main router?-Solution
2015-08-05 15:32:54 - last edited 2021-02-16 02:28:56
I'm afraid not. We can only customerize extender's SSID. Its password cannot be changed and it should be the same as the main router's Wi-Fi password.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Can I give a range extender a different network name and password to the main router?
2021-02-12 03:55:32

@Vivian I have two extenders with one router. I would like to give the different SSID names. I see only one in the list of available networks. How do I know which extender that is if they both have the same name?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1795

Replies: 2

Related Articles