Windows 10 drivers for TL-WN821N?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-08-08 21:03:28
Model : TL-WN821N

Hardware Version : V4

Firmware Version :

ISP : BT

Hiya all, first post here.

I installed Windows 10 onto my main rig yesterday, all seems well so far. However, I've been having issues with my internet connection. Sometimes my adapter will lose connection to our wifi network, and if it is connected, the speed will fluctuate from just a few bytes per second up to our normal speed of ~300kB/s. It seems completely random, and I haven't found a fix so far. I assume it's down to the current drivers for my device not supporting Windows 10?

I guess my question is - are TP-Link working on a new driver for this adapter, and is there a short-term fix for the moment? Thanks in advance.

Woody
Options
3 Reply
Re:Windows 10 drivers for TL-WN821N?
2015-08-12 15:08:46
Are you using the windows 10 built-in driver or driver for Windows 8.1?
Options
2015-08-13 03:14:58

Tony Seaford wrote

Are you using the windows 10 built-in driver or driver for Windows 8.1?

Okay, after raising a ticket with TP-Link support they suggested to use the Windows 8.1 driver. I manually installed it just as they showed me to, and all seemed fine. Later, however, I experienced huge slowdowns on my PC, FPS drops in all my games, and noticed that the CPU usage and memory usage of the NT Kernel & System process was through the roof. After doing a bit of research, I found that this is normally down to a dodgy driver. Seeing as I had experienced this problem only after installing the Windows 8.1 driver, I assume that said driver is not suitable for Windows 10.

I don't know if this is the case for all users, but I thought I'd mention it in case it is. To fix it, I went to Device Manager and got Windows to search online for drivers for my device. It did install drivers, and all seems good right now. NT Kernel & System is using 0% of CPU and 24KB of RAM as normal. I'll have to test it further to make sure the adapter works as normal, but until then it looks great.

Woody
Options
2015-08-13 03:28:25
Okay I can confirm that, although the adapter (and therefore the internet) works fine, the kernel problem is still there. It's rendering my games unplayable and my PC almost unusable. Even entirely removing drivers and installing exclusively the Windows 8.1 drivers still triggers the problem.

Woody
Options