Archer C5 Time/NTP issues as AP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-08-19 01:03:35
Model : Archer C5

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version : 3.14

ISP :

Hi

I'm looking for what I hope is a simple answer or confirmation. I have a qty of 6, Archer C5 routers all configured to act only as Access Points. So, nothing is plugged into the WAN port, they all have a static LAN ip address and they are all working fine. But, none of them will update their time. I have them, one at a time for testing purposes, plugged into my network via a LAN port. I can connect wirelessly via my laptop and get to the internet. When I log into the device and look at the time settings, they are incorrect. If I put in 0.pool.ntp.org or any other time server and click the Get GMT button, I get an error that says I need to make sure I have an internet connection. I can get to the internet through the device, but is it only attempting to update time via the WAN port which I am not using?

Can anyone test it for me? I feel like I am losing my mind.

Thanks in advance. I appreciate any assistance.

Scott Bridges
Sonlight Academy
Port-de-Paix, Haiti
Options
5 Reply
Re:Archer C5 Time/NTP issues as AP
2015-08-19 02:31:01
Hi,

This problem is a big limitation of the TP-Link firmware for all the routers.
When the WAN port is not used, the Date/Time can't be updated.

I asked a fix a long time ago but TP-Link doesn't care.

The only workaround is to add a static route to the NTP server but requires some time to push the "Get GMT" button (I mean Date/Time is not automatically updated):

Options
thanks!
2015-08-19 04:21:28
Thanks for the confirmation. I'm sitting on a total of nine of this same model to use in different staff houses around our school. What a glaring fail on the part of TP-Link.

Anyway, thanks for your help and for taking the time to respond.

Scott
Options
2015-08-19 16:35:55
It can be solved if we create a static route rule on the router. Have a look at this thread.
http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?80548-C2-Archer-as-access-point-can-t-get-system-time-or-diagnostics&p=159175&viewfull=1#post159175
Options
2015-08-19 17:18:13

Tony Seaford wrote

It can be solved if we create a static route rule on the router.

Sorry Vivian but it's only a workaround as I explained, working only with an IP address of a NTP server (not a NTP pool).

Further more with my Archer C7 v2 there is no automatic update (problem reported several months ago but still not solved).

With all the TP-Link routers, I've never seen the Date/Time feature working properly. It's really a shame... :mad:
Options
2019-11-11 15:22:27

@Carl

TP-Link should fix not only this specific issue envolving NTP, but all other ones related to the WAN port not being used to connect to the Internet (that is, when Internet signal arrives through any of the router's Ethernet ports).

For example:

• Guest wi-fi networks allow connections but don't provide Internet navigation unless you allow guests to access our network.
  • Internet connection status is misleading (it says there's no Internet connection available).
  • "Internet Connection Type" cannot be configured to avoid the misleading Internet status.
  • Still regarding NTP, scheduled reboots can't be configured when NTP is not enabled (unless we set up a static route to make it work - which is not an ideal solution).

Many of us use TP-Link routers as a second router in the same LAN, connected to an Internet gateway (e.g., a modem/router) via Ethernet cable, mainly because they have much more features then the ones provided by ISPs. It doesn't make sense that several of these features don't work just because the WAN port is disconnected...

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1593

Replies: 5

Related Articles