Parental/Access control help - C8

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-09-06 10:24:10
Model : Archer C8

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I just got the C8, so far it seems to be working well. I had a D-Link I really liked in terms of the admin panel, but it would just keep disconnecting so I had to abandon it.

With the D-Link the Parental/Access controls were pretty robust and intuitive, I'm having a hard time figuring out how to do exactly what I want on the C8. We're a techie household, we all have multiple devices - at least one laptop/pc and then a phone. Then there are the consoles.

I'd like to be able to set up 2 rules, "curfew" which would prevent the kids but not myself from accessing the internet from a certain time at night to a certain time in the morning, and then "grounded" which cuts them off completely.

Do I have to set up a rule for each device? On the D-Link it was easy to see how to add more than one mac address to a single rule. I also have reserved IP addresses for each device, so if it's easier to do it by IP range I don't mind that either.

Thanks in advance!
Options
5 Reply
Re:Parental/Access control help - C8
2015-09-06 16:06:56
Options
you are not the only one...
2015-09-06 22:36:01
Kensie - I too am tech savvy, there is a bit of a learning curve here. I would prefer simple time-based rules setup on a per-device basis.
I'll post a follow up if I get it working.

cg
Options
2015-09-07 00:25:14
Thanks, I did see that one, but that looks like they're only restricting one device. Does that mean I have to set up rules for each device I want to restrict? Is there no way to restrict access for multiple devices at once, either through adding more than one device to a rule, or by applying a rule to an internal IP range?
Options
2015-09-07 17:58:35
If you use MAC address, you have to add multiple rules(hosts). It is not complicated at all because you can use the same target and schedule.
If you want to add only one rule with IP range, you have to configure static IP for those devices.
Options
2015-09-07 23:39:18
I have configured static IPs, and given us each a 10 digit range, eg my desktop would be 040 and my phone would be 041 (not the actual ones I used) and my first kid would be 050 051 etc. I took a look at the screen, I think this makes sense to me. I made a few rules using MAC addresses just to get the hang of things.

So you create a Host, which means the device(s) on your network you're trying to control access for.
Then you create a target - which is what you want to restrict their access to.
Then you create a schedule - when you want access restricted.

Then you make a rule which puts all of those things together and actively restricts the access.

One of the initial points of confusion for me was "host" and "target" and the support manual didn't actually clarify what host and target are, so I just gave it a go and figured out which was which.

Thanks for the help!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 643

Replies: 5

Related Articles