Upgrade router safely after playing with DD-WRT and OpenWRT

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-09-21 06:17:04
Hi guys,

I own a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND. Some time ago I decided to test DD-WRT and OpenWRT firmware on it, but then it turned out they weren't so great to me, so I reverted back to the original firmware using one of those "no-boot" .bin files. Problem is, I'm currently at version 3.15.31 while the latest available is 3.17.38. My question is: now that my router is running the original firmware again, is it safe to download the latest firmware from the official website and run it through the web upgrade interface or shall I always look for the "no-boot" firmware files? If the second, what is the best way (if possible) to download original boot firmware and strip the bootloader or do whatever it takes so that an upgrade will not brick my router?

Please advise, thanks a lot in advance!

Androo
Options
2 Reply
Re:Upgrade router safely after playing with DD-WRT and OpenWRT
2015-09-22 09:51:48
Personally I prefer the 2 mentioned firmware as compared to the stock one. The only reason I am not using them is mainly because these 3rd firmware lack the support of NAT hardware (CTF) which limit the meant to achieve gigabit performance.

Anyway back to your question. Yes, you can download the latest firmware version from TP-Link official website and upgrade as per normal.
Options
Re:Upgrade router safely after playing with DD-WRT and OpenWRT
2015-09-22 16:49:41
Thanks for your input, I was able to upgrade stock firmware to latest as normal after confirming with the TP-Link support team which was great at assisting and also provided me with the latest version of the firmware which hasn't yet been made available for download on the site.

Oh, and even though DD-WRT and OpenWRT seemed advanced enough to be considered as alternative firmware, they were both hurting the wi-fi signal on my router which was a real deal breaker to me.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1957

Replies: 2

Related Articles