MR 200 - signal diagnostic capability?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-11-20 21:29:13
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi Folks,

I have an Archer MR200 / AC750. In two locations I've tried it, it works very nicely.

In one particular remote location where I'm trying to set up an Internet connection, I get good (indicated) signal strength from a nearby EE station, but very intermittent Internet connectivity. If I move location, I can confirm that the base station is 'good', but I've yet to find a stable operating point within the shed I'm trying to bring online.

I guess the signal is all over the place in reality, and the front panel of the router is showing an average impression of 'strength' as opposed to 'quality'.

Given that the unit seems to have a fairly hefty processing capability - does it have some access to real time signal information? Perhaps there is a 'hidden' web page or telnet port to hook into? It would be really handy to be able to use the router as a signal meter while trying to find a good place to put it, as well as get some indication of the kind of signal environment it's working with.

Any clues would be much appreciated.

Jeff
Options
4 Reply
Re:MR 200 - signal diagnostic capability?
2015-11-26 18:00:44
Hi Jeff,you can log in the manage page and check the Status.
The internet information are shown there include signal strength.
It's shown as percent(e.g.60%).
Options
2015-12-27 09:04:07
@JeffAdams Sadly, I can't find any more in-depth cell information in the configuration settings, other than the most basic % signal strength indicator.

I have a number of masts in my area - most of which are unusably congested, but with one or two usable ones. I'd like to be able to see the cell ID for the mast I'm connected to so that I can move the router around in order to connect to my preferred mast as a minimum. Many other similar routers offer this level of detail, and much more detailed signal and cell data, so this is disappointing.

I can only hope that TP Link update the firmware with some added functionality, or a third party comes up with a replacement firmware over time.
Options
2016-01-01 23:05:02
@CheshireBumpkin Does the 3G/4G protocol enable to device to select which cell to use for connection? I thought that hand-off between cell was controlled by the protocol itself.
Options
2016-01-19 23:56:49

kismet wrote

@CheshireBumpkin Does the 3G/4G protocol enable to device to select which cell to use for connection? I thought that hand-off between cell was controlled by the protocol itself.

The only option you have is to choose 4G/LTE only, 3G only or Auto. The mobile network element of the router is totally unconfigurable or viewable really, other than this and APN. You can't even check which band/frequency you're on, dB levels, SNR, anything really.... Just a basic percentage signal reading, which is meaningless in isolation.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1023

Replies: 4

Related Articles