Questions re Bandwidth Control on an Archer C50 AC1200

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-11-21 18:56:06
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

First a bit of background.

My wife and I run painting and photography holidays in southwest France. The holidays run for one week and we operate six holidays per season. So for six weeks we have up to eight guests and for the other 46 weeks there is just the two of us, plus occasional visitors.

I have just dumped our copper wire ISP as our download speed was only around 0.5 to 1 Mbps and I have switched to using the new 4G LTE network operated here in France by 'Free'. The Free SIM card is inside a Netgear AC785-100EUS Aircard mobile router which is docked into a NETGEAR DC113A-100EUS AirCard 4G LTE Signal Boosting and Charging Cradle. This combination sits on the windowsill in my home office and delivers 80-90 Mbps download speeds to my PC just a few feet away.

The cradle has an ethernet socket and a cable runs from this to an Archer C50 AC1200 Dual Band Router which is placed elsewhere in the house.

My problem is that Free limit the monthly usage of the data going through the SIM to 50 Gb. Now, for those 46 weeks when we have no guests, that's perfectly adequate for us. However, next year, in the six weeks where the house has up to eight guests in it, I'm worried that some people will take advantage of this new super-fast system and, in their spare time, start streaming movies, playing online games etc. which will quickly take me over my monthly data quota.

So here is my problem:

I want to restrict the guests to the use of the 2.4 GHz network only, and I want the bandwidth available to them to be restricted to 2 Mbps (which I think should be quite sufficient for them to use email, Facebook, browsing, etc.)

I then want the 5 GHz network to be available only to me (when I'm not in my office) and to my wife, and I want no restriction on the bandwidth available to us.

1st Question : Is this possible?
2nd Question : If it is, how do I restrict the bandwidth for ALL users on the 2.4 Ghz network to 2 Mbps. I say 'ALL users' because obviously I won't know the identity of any device guests bring with them.

I've read and reread the Archer C50 manual and confess that I find section 4.17 on Bandwidth Control really very confusing. For example I don't even understand the very first section which says :

"You can configure the Egress Bandwidth and Ingress Bandwidth in this page. Their values you configure should be less than 10000Kbps. You can also view and configure the Bandwidth Control rules in this page."

Are these figures for Egress and Ingress (which I've deduced as meaning Upload and Download) the limit to be set, or the speeds that are available from 'Free'. If the former, do they operate on both bands? And, if the latter, what on earth use is it for me to configure them to be "less than 10000Kbps" when my maximum download available is between 70 and 100 Mbps?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Options
1 Reply
I think I solved this myself
2015-11-21 19:55:42
OK, I think I might just have found an answer here : http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-649.html

With this it seems that I don't need to bother with restricting the 2.4 Ghz band, I just need to set up a guest network and restrict the bandwidth of both bands on that.

Perfect!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 454

Replies: 1