Wake On LAN - Wake On WLAN (WOL - WOW) in wds mode, from remote.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-12-04 02:27:19
Model : TL-MR3420

Hardware Version : V2

Firmware Version : 3.16.9 Build 150319 Rel. 60489n

ISP :

Hi, everybody.
I'm just new in this forum but it's seems to be great. I hope somebody will help me finding a solution to my problem.
As in the title, I have two routers MR3420, almost identica, in wds2 mode. I say "almost identical" because their firmwares are exactly the same, but on the router case one results to be hardware ver. 2.3 and the other one ver. 2.4.

My configuration:

Root router: Wan in PPPoE, working, getting public IP address and DNS server from ISP. Secondary Static Connection just to see my Nanostation, which isin bridge mode
(secondary IP 10.10.10.2, with Nanostation IP 10.10.10.10, connection working)
Lan 192.168.0.1.
DHCP ENABLED (192168.0.100-199), no Address Reservation. Default Gateway 192.168.0.1.
Wireless Network Name "Gigliotti R.A.1", Mode 11bgn mixed, Channel width 40 MHz, Channel 6, WDS DISABLED!
Wireless Secutity WP2-PSK, Encryption AES.
Port Forwarding Port number 9 to IP 192.168.0.100 (IP of computer I'd like to wake on wlan frome remote), UDP.
Security Remote Management on port 8080, remote allowed ip 255.255.255.255, tested from 3G internet connection.
IP and MAC Binding enabled: I bound my PC MAC to 192.168.0.100, of course.
System tools: 2 NTP servers saved for right time and date from the web.
DDNS enabled and working with NO-IP account, tested.

Slave router: WAN UNPLUGGED, of course, we're in WDS mode!
LAN 192.168.0.2 (differen IP than root router, but in the same subnet.)
Wireless: just exactly the same that in root router, except for the Network Name.
WDS ENABLED, WDS MODE 2. (WORKING; INTERNET WORKS FINE; NO ANY KIND OF TROUBLE).
DHCP DISABLED
IP and MAC Binding DISABLED.
ADVANCED ROUTING: set NTP servers IP (the same that on the root router ) as static, with mask 255.255.255.255, and gateway ip 192.168.0.1 (root router).
Working: router gets right time and date from the NTP's
SYSTEM TOOLS: again, I set the usual two NTP servers IP addresses.

Ok now. My PC is wired to the slave router (I bought it jus for this purpose). But wake on lan works only for a few minutes after I shut it down. Made two tests: wiring PC to root router gives no problem: PC Always wake up, ebìven after two or three days. Wiring again PC to slave router and giving a broadcast magic packet, works ONLY from inside my home network (normal: routers don't forward broadcast packet through NAT). So I guess the trouble is ARP IN SLAVE ROUTER, and I tried all possible combinations. Bound in root only, in slave only, bound in both. Nothing to do. I tried to forward the packet from port 9 to 192.168.0.255 too, but router GUI doesn't allow it.

I have been trying different solutions for a month.Now I give up and I just hope that somebody will help me.
Thank you in advance.
Options
1 Reply
MR3420 WDS WoL Wake On Lan Remote
2016-02-13 19:09:53
SOLVED
MR 3420, since v 2.0, supports WDS MODE 1 and WDS MODE 2.

1) Set WDS MODE 1
2) Disconnect any device from your home net, except of routers.
3) Connect PC (the one you want to wake on LAN) to slave router. By wire, of course!
4) On Slave router go to "STAUS" page and copy (or write down) LAN MAC ADDRESS. We'll call it "SR MAC" Slave Router MAC
5) On Master router go to "IP & MAC Binding" page.
5a) click "Add New" and in MAC Address field put "SR MAC" see point 4) ; in in IP Field write down chosen IP Address of PC you want to Wake On Lan. Check out that "bind" is on then save.
6) That's all. Now you need only to forward port and reserve address in DHCP in master router AND do ANOTHER IP BINDING IN SLAVE ROUTER.
6a) Master Router: DHCP---->Address Reservation--->Add New--->MAC Address = PC to Wake On Lan MAC, IP Address = previously chosen PC's IP Address. Enabled, Save.
6b) Master Router: Forwarding---> forward port as usual.
7) Slave Router: IP & MAC Binding--->Add New--->MAC Address = MAC Address of PC you want to Wake On Lan, IP Previously chosen IP of PC. Check out Bind. Save

Very Important:
If you have more than one PC that you want To Wake On Lan follow same steps, REMEMBERING that at point 5) you will need always MAC Address of slave router. So you will have, on master router, two (or more) different IP's but ONLY ONE MAC ADDRESS!!!!! Don't ask me how it's possible but I tried home with three different PC's and it works fine.
I hope this will be useful.
Many thanks
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1390

Replies: 1