When extending, how to ensure my laptop is connected to TP-Link and not Router?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-01-04 11:18:48
Model : TL- WPA4220KIT

Hardware Version : TL- WPA4220KIT

Firmware Version : whatever is installed

ISP : Start.ca/Rogers

So I got the TL- WPA4220KIT from amazon and i'm trying evaluate if my laptop is connecting to it.

My situation:
I am in a one floor old victorian house apartment. Our only internet hookup is at the front of the house in our bedroom. The wall between the bedroom and the rest of the house is made of brick. Our office is at the back of the house and in between my desk and the router is the kitchen and all the appliances. I was getting noticeably very bad internet at my desk in my office (using a macbook... completely no issue as soon as I moved to the living room). I also wanted to be able to have my NAS not in the bedroom and still hooked up via ethernet. The TPLink seemed like a perfect solution to both these issues.

So I ordered one, got it set up. I set up the extender option because I want all my devices (especially the NAS) to all be on the same network so they can access each other. The NAS works fine with the hook-up. I can access it from the Apple TV in the living room no problem, so it must be on the network (I'd be really curious to know a way to do a speed test though to get a sense of its performance).

What I'm not sure about is the laptop.

When I am in my office, I still have some really frustrating experiences with the internet (we're talking spinning for about 10-30 seconds before loading any of a site). What I'm wondering is, is my laptop still trying to connect to the bad wireless from my bedroom? how can I make sure that my laptop connects to the wifi that the TPLink is outputting?

Is it normal for there to be a TP-XXXXsomething wireless network available when it is set up to be extending my current network, because there is!

I do not have the TP Link running, because this morning my ASUS router would not turn on anymore, so I'm awaiting a new router.
Options
3 Reply
Re:When extending, how to ensure my laptop is connected to TP-Link and not Router?
2016-01-05 14:41:30
if I have free time, I will visit your apartment to see TP Link yours
Options
Re:When extending, how to ensure my laptop is connected to TP-Link and not Router?
2016-01-12 10:49:12
Thank you for the offer! I would make tea and cookies and look forward to a beautiful friendship.

I don't think answering my question would require the cost of airfare, tho
Options
2016-01-13 14:30:05
Based on your description, I was not quite sure whether the SSID were the same or not for you current setup?
Do you have any software the allows you to check the channel of the wifi networks?
Did you compare speeds plugging directly into adapter and wifi?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 806

Replies: 3