Power line - neighbour pc

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-01-30 20:02:04
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

HiI've replaced my Zyxel power lines with some TP link TL-PA8030P's. I have hit the button to pair them and all is ok, checked with the utility that they have passwords. The issue is that on my Windows machines I can see my neighbours pc in Windows Explorer - Network, it won't connect but it still shows an icon and name.I have tried changing the network name of the Powerlines but that still doesn't get rid of it.I've checked my router and it's not getting an IP address from dhcp and I can't see it in arp. How could this be ?RegardsAdam
Options
3 Reply
Re:Power line - neighbour pc
2016-01-31 20:18:25
You need to change the Network Name on all Powerline adapters to something other than default "HomePlug".

You can do this by connecting each adapter in turn to your PC and changing each one individually, or by entering the password from each unit and changing the Network Name remotely via the "set all devices network name" button in the utility.

Also Windows will remember the name of Network Computers for a time, even after they are disconnected. If you still see your neighbours computer after changing Homeplug Network Name, that's probably all it is. Just a phantom entry. It will probably go next time you reboot (computer + router) or flush the dns cache.
Options
2016-02-01 03:07:33
Thx, I had changed the network name. I've rebooted all the PCs and the router. It seems to have disappeared. Will keep an eye to see if it comes back.
Options
2020-07-09 09:54:43
Would be better if the kits shipped with a random generated network name, and then instruct users how to change it when adding further devices to a home network.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 610

Replies: 3