MR6400 and external 3/4G antenna

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-03-26 00:18:24
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I sent the following query to TP-Link Support:

In my village we get weak 3G/4G signals:
With the MR6400 at an upstairs window I normally get 1 bar - occasionally rising to 2, and rarely 3.
I appreciate that there are external aerials on the device, but is it possible to get improved signal strength by using a 'real' external antenna - possibly mounted on an external wall ?
If so, which device(s) would you recommend?

and got the following response:
Thank you very much for your email requesting information about our product.
These 2 detachable external Antennas is a 4G antenna, and we are sorry that our company has no separate 4G antenna for sale now, you may need to search online for the compatibale antenna from other company.
Sincerely sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Since Support failed to answer my questions, I hope that someone in this Forum might have some experience that might guide me.

I did get goodish results using the 35DBI 3G 4G LTE TS9 Antenna HUAWEI R212 with a HUAWEI E5573 s-320 150MBPS 3G 4G LTE but that has RS9 connectors and I assume I need one with SMA connectors. (I changed to the MR6400 for the Network capabilities)

Any help would be appreciated.

I must say that I am very pleased with the MR6400, with its easy set-up for the back-up landline connection should 4G fail, and the 'solid' connection that seems to be established despite the rather low signal.
Options
6 Reply
Re:MR6400 and external 3/4G antenna
2016-03-30 14:44:42
I am not familiar with antenna.
But I think maybe and SMA extension cord will work for your case.
Connect the extension cord to MR6400 and put the original antenna where signal is strong.
Options
2016-03-31 18:11:19
Yes - I use an external Poynting omni antenna with my MR200 via the two SMA ports and it works well. Without it I can't access 4G, but with it (and after setting to '4G only) I can pick up a stable and reasonably fast 4G connection. It's mounted on the outside of the building, high up.

If you're in the UK, you can see the one I use here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Omni-antenna-GSM-3G-4G/dp/B00C1DGFPS
Options
2016-04-02 02:41:53

CheshireBumpkin wrote

Yes - I use an external Poynting omni antenna with my MR200 via the two SMA ports and it works well. Without it I can't access 4G, but with it (and after setting to '4G only) I can pick up a stable and reasonably fast 4G connection. It's mounted on the outside of the building, high up.

If you're in the UK, you can see the one I use here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Omni-antenna-GSM-3G-4G/dp/B00C1DGFPS

I am presently awaiting delivery of Male SMA/Female TS9 lead to use with the 35DBI 3G 4G LTE TS9 Antenna HUAWEI R212 I already have since it seemed sensible to try it before buying the version that has SMA connections. Unfortunately, the only supplier of an adapter like this I could find is in Hong Kong, so it may be some time before it arrives in the UK.

Thanks for your response - if the 'adapted' R212 Antenna does not show any improvement, I may well try your suggestion, and I will post here the eventual outcome of my endeavors to get a better signal.
Options
2016-04-02 02:44:11

kunkka wrote

I am not familiar with antenna.
But I think maybe and SMA extension cord will work for your case.
Connect the extension cord to MR6400 and put the original antenna where signal is strong.

Thanks for your response - but I already have the antenna at the place where the signal is likely to be strongest.
Options
2017-10-27 20:13:25
I have purchase a YAGI directional aerial https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M7SSTPO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (possibly a mistake) and it only has a single aerial feed into my router. Does anyone have any experience of doing this ? Do I need a second YAGI aerial with a second feed ?
Options
2017-10-31 09:53:27
The two antennas of the MR6400 are working collaboratively.
If you want to change the channel, you must change both of them, otherwise it can't make the signal better.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 6765

Replies: 6

Related Articles