MR3420 won't connect to hotspot

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-07-29 20:19:19
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have a new MR3420, and have tried to get it working in two ways, both unsuccessfully.

1. using a Three PAYG dongle - fail. The issue here was endless looping between identifying, connecting and immediately disconnecting. But, I did look up, retrospectively, the specs and found that the dongle's product code isn't one that's compatible with this router. So no surprises there.

2. using a Sony Xperia Z3 hotspot, wirelessly, where the device is connected to a strong EE 4G network connection (and this hostpot can be connected to by all devices in the home) . With this method I was able to set WDS bridging to "on", scan for the hotpsot, click "Connect", and noted that the connection succeeded. However, from the laptop I'm using to access the router's UI, no Internet. (NB plugging the three dongle directly into the laptop -> success, @ 20MBPS).

I'm confused not just by the lack off connection at this point, which is frustrating. But also by the router's UI. There is a setting for Internet access that offers 3g/4g only, 3g/4g pref over WAN, etc. This is offered in the menu effectively as "how do you want connect to the Internet". There is an entirely separate menu for setting "wireless" up, which is where the WDS link to the hotspot is established.

So my brain is having trouble with that. One menu and set of functions that ask how I want to connect to the Internet. Should I choose WAN? 3G? what difference does it make - I want to connect to the Internet via the WDS bridged connection, don't I? at which point whether that connection was established over 3g, 4g etc ought tp be irrelevant? Guidance here would be appreciated. Another menu and setup journey for estalishing a bridge to a connection that itself was already connected to the Internet.

Hopefully without a full explanation of how routing works, there's someone who has got this working and can explain the explicit steps.

I don't think I'm doing anything radical here and it feels like it should just work.

Thanks in advance.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 519

Replies: 0