How to edit the pass of the powerline adapter?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-01-05 18:22:33
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hey
I just read some stuff about security problems of the password of my TP-Link Powerline adapters (TL-PA4020P).
So I just want to edit this passwords by myself.

Is there any possibility to edit the password of the powerline adapter?

Thanks.

ND
Options
6 Reply
Re:How to edit the pass of the powerline adapter?
2017-01-06 15:12:15
Hi
the utility can help you.it can be downloaded from the website
http://www.tp-link.com/en/download/TL-PA4020P-KIT.html#Utility
Options
2017-01-06 17:20:43
Hi
Thanks for the reply!

I already tried this tool but the problem is, I got Version 1.1 of TL-PA4020P.
If I download this tool and try to start it, there is nothing going on. Programm didn´t start in my Win7. :mad:

ND
Options
2017-01-08 18:25:35
Installed this Tool now on a fresh win8.1 and it works but I cant edit device password with this tool. I dont see option to edit device pass...
Options
2017-01-09 08:40:48

MisterND wrote

Installed this Tool now on a fresh win8.1 and it works but I cant edit device password with this tool. I dont see option to edit device pass...

can you see the powerline showed in the utility?
if you can,just click the "security" icon on the left of utility and change the network name,it is the powerline password
(I guess you may have midunderstood this,
Once the new network name is established, all the other powerline network devices will be given the new name so they can communicate with each other)

here's a FAQ but it's the old utility with green interface:
http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-259.html
Options
2017-01-10 01:13:34
I want to edit device pass NOT the network pass. As I wrote in my first post its a security problem to stay at the password which is printed on the backside of the device. If u want, take a look at this link I found: https://www.bentasker.co.uk/documentation/security/282-infiltrating-a-network-via-powerline-homeplugav-adapters So u see whats my Problem...
Options
2017-01-11 09:01:46
The powerline key(password) can not be changed.
as is wrote in your link : It does, of course require some proximity to the target network
do you think hackers would come close to your house and take efforts trying to attack your network?why would they?and how can they easily get into your circuit?

and as wrote: The encryption key on the target network has been changed from the default (otherwise things are much, much easier). The quick setup guide for most of these devices advises pushing the encryption reset buttons, so it's likely most users have changed from the commonly known default (HomePlugAV).

if you still worry about it, just change your network name regularly.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 733

Replies: 6