Slower speed after adding extra powerlines

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-02-09 04:22:42
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hey all, I've got an issue that I've been trying to diagnose for a couple of hours and it's driving me mad. Prior to today my desktop pc was connected to the router via TP-Link AV600 Gigabit powerline [/FONT][FONT=Verdana] adaptors and I was getting my maximum available speed of 32 mbps (Sky Fibre.) Today I have installed two additional powelines in the form of TP-Link AV1200's with pass through. The 1200's are connected to the router and one is upstairs ready for a Sky Q mini installation. The original powerline which was connected to the router has now gone up to my daughters PC upstairs to replace her wifi dongle [/FONT][FONT=Verdana] .
Since all this my desktop pc is only managing a download max of 22-24 Mbps and I'm trying to figure out why. I did try plugging my desktop into one of the AV1200's but it didn't make any difference. I also ran a long cable direct to the router to eliminate my desktop performance which did go up to full speed. Meanwhile my daughters pc upstairs which is now connected to an AV600 is getting pretty much full speed.
Any ideas why my PC seems to have dropped about 10 mbps by adding two extra powerlines while the others seem unaffected?
FYI the house electrical wiring is almost brand new.
Options
5 Reply
Re:Slower speed after adding extra powerlines
2017-02-09 16:51:15
First thing to do is update the firmware on the 8000 series product. Older firmware for these had ridiculously low throughput, current releases are good.
Options
2017-02-09 20:13:18
Thanks for the reply. I've find where a big part of the issue lies and that is my daughters pc hogging the available bandwidth of the powerline network!She streams constantly while having Skype running and god knows whatever else running in the background. Once she turned off her pc my pc went back to full speed.I'm guessing that her pc upstairs somehow takes priority somehow due to the electrical wiring. I guess I'll have to either suck it up or install an Ethernet port by my desk!
Options
2017-02-10 16:39:46
Heh. With two teenage daughters, I know very well what you're talking about. Putting yourself on a faster local connection won't help that, for the bottleneck is the internet connection itself, not the powerline mesh.

So what you really need is an internet router that supports bandwidth management towards individual agents. Mine even has bandwidth and time budget management for groups of devices, so the younger daughter cannot sneak past her internet curfew no matter what device she uses.
Options
2017-02-10 20:23:54
Oh, and of course, the slower AV600 PLC will hog twice as much powerline time for the same throughput as an AV1200 would. Maybe you should put your daughter's PC on another AV1200 PLC and retire the AV600 to an endpoint with little traffic.
Options
2017-02-11 00:51:00

Peter M wrote

Putting yourself on a faster local connection won't help that, for the bottleneck is the internet connection itself, not the powerline mesh.

I've already tested this and I was able to reach my normal maximum speeds with a long ethernet cable hooked up to on of my gigabit switches. So the bottleneck is definitely in the powerline network.
To swap her 600 for a 1200 I would have to buy another as the two 1200's have have pass-through which I need on their current locations which the 600's don't.
I've got my eye on a couple of singles on eBay. I may still go for the ethernet option as well though as I already have a long run of heavy duty cat 6 cable remaining for the last connection I had to install behind my AV rack. I could have just done without the hassle!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1090

Replies: 5

Related Articles