Archer C8 cannot use local DNS-server

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-04-05 00:57:51 - last edited 2021-09-26 06:57:35
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi!I've set up a local DNS-server so that I can assign local hostnames for my devices on my LAN.However I cannot enter a LAN address as a DNS server on my Archer.That makes it all too cumbersome to make it work since I'd then would have to manually set the dns address on all devices.Could you either please support local DNS-servers or help me configure it otherwise?Thanks in advance!
Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer C8 cannot use local DNS-server-Solution
2017-04-06 23:53:37 - last edited 2021-09-26 06:57:35
Thanks!It worked, but I'd prefer it if it was the router's own preferred dns source (as it would be if I could enter it under Internet settings) so that the router was the only device asking the server to resolve the queries, thus also allowing the router to cache the internal domain names.Just my two cents!Regards,Björn
Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Archer C8 cannot use local DNS-server
2017-04-06 09:09:52
Where do you try to enter your local DNS servers? It's recommended to enter it under DHCP server settings.
Options
2017-04-06 13:58:11
Hi!

I have it there, but it gets ignored.

When I try to also enter it under internet settings, that's when it gets refused.
But as my own server already resolves to my ISP:s servers it would work equally
fine to use for both local and and internet lookup.
Options
2017-04-06 18:36:17
After you change the DNS servers settings under DHCP server, you need to disconnect and then reconnect your devices to the router so that they will refresh the new status. Or just reboot the router.
Options
Re:Archer C8 cannot use local DNS-server-Solution
2017-04-06 23:53:37 - last edited 2021-09-26 06:57:35
Thanks!It worked, but I'd prefer it if it was the router's own preferred dns source (as it would be if I could enter it under Internet settings) so that the router was the only device asking the server to resolve the queries, thus also allowing the router to cache the internal domain names.Just my two cents!Regards,Björn
Recommended Solution
Options
2017-04-11 00:38:05
Final question:I would appreciate the possibility to manually enter a domain name that the router can broadcast to clients. Currently it's locked to "lan".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2124

Replies: 5