Tl pa8030p - interference - going back

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-04-07 00:29:32
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I thought I would post on here my about my disappointment about this product, ive had loads of 200 and 400 tp link power adapters and never had an issue so I got these about 4 months ago and fitted them into my setup to replace some devolo 650 items. everything seemed fine until my broadband started to slow and I had some drop outs of my router connection to the exchange but not my actual router.

ive spent hours going round in circles with my broadband supplier and eventually got openreach to attend today. they did line tests and it all seemed fine then he did an error test and found loads then he did an interference test and found a lot of his and lots of clicking. we went round turning off ring mains and all the sockets in the house after about half an hour I traced the interference down to one plug socket that the tp link was plugged into I unplugged and and the errors stopped and the interference stopped. I took the adapter into the engineer and he reset everything and had not interference or clicks then plugged the adapter in and was getting thousands of errors every second and loud clicking through the tester. I unplugged and it stopped we tried the 2nd adapter which we had unplugged because the router was plugged into it for the feed and the same thing happened, I tired the devolo 650+ and got no errors or noise we also tried the 200 and 400 tplink adapters and again no interference or noise detected.

to say I'm disappointed is an understatement. if the bt engineer hadn't done this I would never of known and I may still get charged by them because it was my equipment at fault. I don't expect this from a 4 month item so anyone getting reduced broadband speed I would try taking these out of your system and reset your router to see if your speed comes back.

oh btw after resetting my broadband for a 2nd time after no errors was shown my router synced nearly 10meg higher than it had been and hasn't dropped down since.

poor showing glad I got these through amazon who will be refunding me on these faulty goods
Options
7 Reply
Re:Tl pa8030p - interference - going back
2017-04-07 18:58:27
Well ... the thing is, pretty obviously, that Powerline communications use radio frequency signaling. Domestic power wiring never is shielded, so yes of course, there will be emissions.

Now powerline has careful regulatory rules so it doesn't disturb any essential radio communications ... but in your own house, wire-to-wire, there will always be interference.

Since you'll never get your domestic powerline web to not emit anything, the key to happiness is to make sure everything else is done well. One very common mistake is to run phone/DSL cabling in the same tubes as power wiring. One simply does not do that. Follow that rule, and your DSL will be stable again.

Same goes for disturbance into analog audio equipment. Powerline "noise" may be what exposes it, but the real problem is poor or absent filtering on the power input circuit on your audio equipment.

[What's the difference between the AV1200 and the lesser standards then? Simple: The AV1200 uses two channels on all three wires, introducing emissions on a pair that is unaffected by the older standards.
Options
2017-04-08 12:35:46
Options
2017-04-08 16:00:52
Thanks for your input Peter your points may be valid however the phone line is about 3 feet away from the nearest socket and goes straight out through the wall then directly to the post outside it does not run close to any power lines. The interference we found first was from one adapter in the next room some 16 feet away then tested close by to check it was definitely the adapter.The devolo I am using does the same thing as the tp link adapter using all wiring including the earth to provide the high speeds and causing no interference at all. This has been plugged in since Thursday and my broadband is still syncing and working like it used to.So I'm afraid there is no excuse for these adapters new technology or not they were the cause of my problems which has now been confirmed by the continued stability now they have been removed from my network.
Options
2017-05-20 07:32:49
The same thing happened to me. I had two Tl pa8030p power adapters working so I bought two Tl pa 8010p power adapters as well and had one connected to the other three working well. Then 5 or 6 days ago my internet started running real slow. Having tried re-cycling all the devices on the network with no improvement I called BT and an engineer was here today. It turned out that when the Tl pa8030p was disconnected from the hub everything worked fine. When connected again the internet speed slowed again whether connected to the hub by LAN or wireless. I have tried plugging the Tl pa8030p into a power socket on the other side of the room from the all the other equipment plugged into the hub and the internet speed still drops. I have tried using each one of the Tl 80x0p powerline adapters as the primary connected to the hub, but the same internet speed loss occurs.

Very, very disappointed.

Update 2 days later..... Everything working again with no loss of internet speed. I re-organised my 4 powerline devices, so they are not in the same positions, but I don't think that is significant. Nothing else has changed except the BT engineer replaced a power pack used to charge the batteries in the battery back up pack for the fibre termination box on the wall, as it was an old model considered suspect by BT. Did this interfere with the powerline device in the same room?? Beats me!
Options
2017-05-23 17:30:09
This may well be true: Poorly designed devices, switching power supplies in particular, can introduce high frequency noise back into the mains circuitry, making powerline communications unreliable or even impossible. Removing the offending device will clear things up. The same applies for devices that used to be quite OK, but have deteriorated from old age - capacitors drying out etc.

The offending device may be something simple and non-obvious, like a slightly too cheap LED or CCFL lamp - or something big like your battery charger thing.
Options
Neighbours devices
2017-05-25 01:56:23
A further interesting development!

When I was looking through at the loading on each of the LAN ports on my BTHomeHub 5 router as a result of all this, I noticed that a number of my neighbours devices had apparently, at some time, connected by cable to my router! Now he has a Devolo ring mains plug that extends his wireless network and I could see this device in the list of devices that had connected to my router, along with a lot of his wireless devices, like tablets or mobiles.

The inference is that his Devolo device when looking to connect on his ring main went, via the external Grid cables that both our homes connect to in close proximity, and connected with my TP-Link Powerline adapter. The jury's out on that theory, but it is hard to come up with anything else that explains his devices connecting by cable to my router. Have other similar occurrences been reported? My Powerline adapters connect across the upstairs and downstairs ring main, presumably via the consumer unit, so it seems plausible it could reach further. This might explain why my Powerline adapter, connected to the LAN, seemed to be having difficulty to properly identify and connect with the other adapters at the time of the slow internet speeds.

Is there any security on the Powerline adapters that would prevent unauthorised access from a foreign device?

The good news is everything is working normally, at the moment.
Options
2017-05-30 15:47:08
The simple answer to your question is yes, use your own passphrase for the powerline encryption.

You can do that via the PC utility with a typed-in password. Alternatively, you can use the button on the PLCs to rebuild the network with a new, random, unknown-to-you passphrase. Your neighbour should obviously do the same thing.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 905

Replies: 7

Related Articles