Huawei E122 rarely connects

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-06-04 10:34:05
Region : India

Model : TL-MR3020

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 3.15.2 Build 130326 Rel.58517n

ISP : BSNL

Hi,

I am using a Huawei E122 with BSNL 3G sim card.
AP name: gprssouth.cellone.in and also bsnlnet
about 10 logs attached.

The router is not able to make a connection most of the time. The data card is showing as identified. however, the status page shows "connecting" and loops through "identifying" and "connecting"..In the same locations, i am able to connect using laptop no matter the orientation or signal strength or time.
I am not sure if signal strength is the problem, because I tried in an open terrace also for a few hours; no connection. Sometimes when it works, it works beautifully; high speed, no problem. but the connection is dropped. I am just not able to say when it will connect.

tried the following:
- tested with USB y cable
- tested with supplied power adapter
- wifi OFF/ ON
- connection automatic, on demand
- set the APN to preset and also user defined
- used extension cable.
- tried all the stock firmware versions

When i use a good quality extension cable (~15cm), the router resets intermittently. this never happens if i directly connect the datacard to the router.When i use a ferrite USB cable of about 50cm , the datacard is not recognized at all.

any suggestions? Do i need to return the device and get a new one?

thanks
kannan.k
File:
reboot no connect wifi off on demand.txtDownload
connectincluding2G.txtDownload
Syslog (1).txtDownload
Syslog (2).txtDownload
Syslog (4)extension cable.txtDownload
Syslog.txtDownload
Syslog_2.txtDownload
Syslog_3.txtDownload
Syslog_4.txtDownload
Syslog_5.txtDownload
Options
6 Reply
Re:Huawei E122 rarely connects
2013-06-06 09:36:20
No, you needn't.
I think it is due to the USB cable. Using a 50cm USB cable to connect the modem and the router, the USB cable consumes some power, which will result in insufficient power for the USB modem.With insufficient power, the modem has difficulty in talking with the router .
Options
2013-06-06 13:16:06
hi stella,
thanks for your reply.
The data card is not connecting even if i insert it directly to the router (ie. no extension cable at all). Some of the logs listed are without any extension cable. Also the power supply is rated for 5V, 2 Amps.

kannan
Options
2013-06-06 20:42:54
Hi,

It would appear that you have tried all the logical alternatives to overcome any power shortcoming of the router or interference.

It IS very odd that the long USB cable should cause an issue?

Dovado the USB router leaders, supply a 50cm cable standard.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2060013&p=2#r23

It anecdotallly indicates that the modem IS drawing excessive current?

So maybe the modem is at fault, but they are reliable little devils.

Does it work OK in a laptop?

Cheers
Options
2013-06-07 13:30:46
HI Wahroonga,

thanks for your reply.
yes. it does work ok with the laptop...
all these things apart, this router was/is the best match for my use. ultra low power consumption, external USB power, has Ethernet port and absolutely low cost. I dont even need the wifi. Perfect for my embedded project needing internet. So i have not give up hope yet.

I am at my wits end trying to figure this out. as a last resort will try the following.
- reduce the cable length and test again.
- Try contacting TP-Link tech support for fix/ replacement
- Try openwrt/BlackWidow/Huntsman
- Give up and Try out Dovado (wayyyy tooo costly. about 4 times more)
I just want 2G or 3G...

thanks
kannan
Options
2013-06-22 13:42:43
***update***

I used a extension cable that came with another datacard and the Router seems to be happy with it. The performance is significantly improved. Am able to get solid connection for days. reconnects again even if there a drop. Off-the-shelf generic extension cable did not work.
sometimes If the router for some reason is not able to connect it gets stuck in "connecting" itself. a power cycle corrects this problem.
however the router is still choosy about the place i keep it
same place = good performance
different place = no connection; barely works
*edit* all this with the stock firmware...

I don't know if having another WiFi router(wired broadband) in the vicinity can interfere in the operation?
i hope the interference problem will be reduced in the future models...
Tried BlackWidow; will take that to whirlpool :)
-k
Options
2013-06-22 19:10:18

kannank wrote

***update***

I used a extension cable that came with another datacard and the Router seems to be happy with it. The performance is significantly improved.

Good news. There are USB cables and USB cables. You need one with a bit of copper in it. :)

Tried BlackWidow; will take that to whirlpool :)
-k

See u there. :)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 627

Replies: 6

Related Articles