TL-PA7020: two separate networks - is it possible?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-06-07 15:03:50
Can anyone help me?

Since TL-PA7020 has two Ethernet ports, I wonder is it possible to organize two separate networks:
- ISP #1 -> router #1 -> 7020 -> TVBox (using ISP #1)
- ISP #2 -> router #2 -> 7020 -> PC (using ISP #2)

Options
4 Reply
Re:TL-PA7020: two separate networks - is it possible?
2017-06-22 05:59:24
Interesting idea but I very much doubt it would work. I don't think there is any network separation between the Ethernet ports. They are effectively a small unmanaged hub. You need a dual wan router like this http://www.netstoredirect.com/tp-link-wired-routers/3860-tp-link-tl-r470t-router-6935364040390.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2Z3ztPfP1AIVg73tCh0_KQvuEAQYASABEgJG6_D_BwEFozzie
Options
2017-06-22 15:28:08
... and exactly because these are small unmanaged hubs, they don't care about how many logical networks pass through them. The difficult bit will be to set things up between routers and clients such that the clients only connect to the one router they're supposed to use, and that the routers don't interfere with each other. The PLC stretch is completely transparent to all that.
Options
2018-07-23 18:48:55
Hi all!

I have the same issue with a third powerline.

1- TL-PA7020 have one eth connected to router ISP2 and the other eth connected to LAN (switch connected to a tv, tvbox, and bluray)
2- TL-PA7020 have one eth connected to the firewall/load balancer on port WAN2 cause the powerline receives data from the powerline 1 from router ISP2, the second eth connected to the firewall/load balancer LAN cause let pass data from and to LAN (switch connected to a tv, tvbox, and bluray) PLUS another powerline (3), same model with only one eth connected to a PC
3- TL-PA7010 have only one eth port connected to a PC

both ISP routers are connected to the firewall/load balancer and the bandwidth is available to all network devices.
the PC can see the tvbox and viceversa, file transfer is also possible.

Randomly, after 12 hours? or more? less? when there is no traffic and powerlines go in power saving mode (that I already disabled)? the tvbox cannot connect to a network that permits internet traffic but, strange, the other devices as TV and bluray can connect regularly and they are all connected to a switch connected to the 1- TL-PA7020 that in the second eth port has connected the ISP2 router. PC on the third powerline has regular connection.

Other time happened that PC has direct connection to the ISP2 router, but of course, having static IP has no connection cause it is 190.168.1.2 when the ISP2 router gives it 192.168.1.154....

All this is incredibly frustrating cause if I reset all powerlines, regularly all traffic works and goes where it must go....the eth ports of the TL-PA7020 are surelly HUBS, dubt SWITCHES, cause if they'll do the right job they surelly not make collisions.

router ISP 2 cannot be modified for DHCP, IP.....I only can turn ON/OFF the wifi that is already OOF cause I not use.

Is there a way to solve this issue without wiring the network?
Options
2018-07-28 21:40:07
Asked to the technical support...they replied that I need to set on the network the correct ARP table with IP/MACs assigned that I already done and said them. I could work for the TP-LINK technical support cause who better then a customer can say if a product really works?

I found the solution:

-TL-PA7020 with only one ethernet and TL-PA7010 connected with network 190.168.1.x and all three paired and set a PLC network name. (LAN1)
-other 2 powerlines that I had spair unused set with another PLC network name and working only on network 192.168.1.x cause it is WAN2

All connected to the same firewall/router and works perfectly.

If you want to buy ANY powerline with 2 or more ethernet ports, mind you can use it ONLY for the same subnet! If in the future will be possible to set in every powerline different name PLC networks of every ethernet port then will be possible to use them for different subnets.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1434

Replies: 4