TL-PA8010P Unable to connect to internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-06-23 20:41:16
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

After many attempts, spread over the last 6 months, to get internet connection via my pair of TL-PA8010P PLAs, have to admit defeat and seek forum advice.

I did try submitting an email to TP-Link technical support but the response to my 'submit' button was 'failed' - not exactly helpful, but informative to a point.

I have tried to connect to the internet from 2 different computers, a laptop running Win 7 and a desktop running Win 8.1, both being 64 bit versions. Both of these computers connect to the internet without problem using wifi, but as soon as I plug in a CAT 5 cable from the adjacent PLA no internet connection can be made via wifi or wired. Even if I disable wifi, either physically or in software, on either computer, still no internet connection can be made via a wired connection. Microsoft diagnostics say that the primary DNS cannot be found. The other computers I have wired to the router have no trouble with internet connection.

My wifi router is configured to provide 2 SSIDs. For reasons I cannot understand the name of one of these is used as the NetWork name for my wired connection. This may of course have absolutely nothing to do with my inability to get internet connection via PLA.

Any advice?
Options
2 Reply
Re:TL-PA8010P Unable to connect to internet
2017-07-04 17:56:13
What's the LED status on the two powerline adapters? You need to make sure all the lights are on.

It doesn't matter that the network name of the wired connection is the name of your SSID, that network name can be changed on the computer.

You can call TP-Link support or just send an email to support@tp-link.com.
Options
Re:TL-PA8010P Unable to connect to internet
2017-07-06 17:24:31

Shield101 wrote

What's the LED status on the two powerline adapters? You need to make sure all the lights are on.

It doesn't matter that the network name of the wired connection is the name of your SSID, that network name can be changed on the computer.

You can call TP-Link support or just send an email to [EMAIL="support@tp-link.com"]support@tp-link.com[/EMAIL].

Thanks for advice. I have now solved the problem: classic case of 'shot self in foot': some time ago I had set (but totally forgotten) a MAC filter in my router to prevent my laptop from internet access via a wired connection. I discovered this in the process of 'upgrading' (actually degrading) my 10 year old router to a much newer, far less capable and far more defect-ridden router provided by my ISP. I no longer have any idea why I wanted this MAC filter and since my new router does not have the capability anyway (unbelievable) the problem is now solved.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1212

Replies: 2

Related Articles