Old House - How can it effect my Powerline?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-06-24 01:16:14
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello. I have the AV2000 2-Port Gigabit Poweline and I was wondering which factors could be effecting my connection. I live in an old house, with an older power system, and my connection is limited to 100/100 on the PL.
I have a 300/300 internet, 250/250 on WIFI. What could effect my connection that I only get 33% of the speed? I changed to PL to get a lower latency. If my room is located on the far end of the power cable, will that give a lower speed?
My ping is low, and stability is fine on PL.
[h=1][/h]
Options
4 Reply
Re:Old House - How can it effect my Powerline?
2017-06-25 02:09:41
Two main factors for all transmissions are distance and disturbances - essentially it is only one parameter, namely signal-to-noise ratio. Distance decreases signal, disturbances increase noise.

For a start, use the PLC utility program to find the negotiated physical connection speed and report back.
Options
2017-06-25 19:53:59

I have tried using different cables(CAT 5 and 6) from the PL to my PC , and tried different devices, as well as newer network cards. Speed seems to be limited to 120/100 right now.

Options
2017-06-26 14:21:31
322 Mbit/s raw connection speed isn't all bad for a longer distance. Actual payload throughput of 1/2 to 1/3 of that is to be expected (that's just how it is with shared-media networks, same on WLAN), so your 100-120 figure sounds about correct.
Sometimes the little things, like using a different socket in the same room, can make a surprising difference - to the better or worse.
Options
2017-06-27 04:06:26
Thanks for the help :rolleyes:
Options