Powerline Adapter Speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Powerline Adapter Speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Powerline Adapter Speeds
Powerline Adapter Speeds
2017-06-24 03:23:17
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

This is not a question about a specific adapter as such but instead about them in general.
All Powerlines seem to offer very high speeds, like the: "AV1300 Gigabit Passthrough Powerline Starter Kit" from this website which offers speeds of 1300Mbps.
http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/cat-18_TL-PA8010P-KIT.html
What I do not understand is what it means in reality and how it is proven, as far as I know the fastest speeds that can be reached commercially is 200Mbps which if from Virgin Media's SuperHub 3.0.
I personally have the SuperHub 2 with a speed of 150Mbps so this high speed seems ridiculous to have with some company's offering even higher so I assume there is a good reason why they offer these speeds (some flaw with the hole system only being able to use 10%, ect).
Could someone please explain why the speeds of powerline adapters are so high.
Options
4 Reply
Re:Powerline Adapter Speeds
2017-06-25 02:06:27
Not all LAN traffic is Internet traffic. If you have local connections, like from PC to printer, from media players to NAS boxes, from IPTV recorders to secondary IPTV settop boxes, etc. pp., then you will very well notice that line speed does matter beyond 200 Mbit/s.
Options
2017-06-26 15:17:18
Ok, thanks.So if I already had an old Powerline adapter which is 200Mbps and I don't use anything on my Lan other than my computer which directly goes into the adapter, then into the router.Is it worth getting a higher speed one like 1200.
Options
2017-06-30 17:18:40
the link rate between 2 powerline devices is depend on the lower one. for example,a 200Mbps and a 1200Mbps,the link rate will less than 200Mbps
Options
2017-06-30 18:43:50
Jacob, look at the actual powerline speed and payload throughput of that old 200 Mbit pair. Depending on length and noise of your powerline connection, this may very well be much less than 200. In that case, using an AV1200 pair will most definitely bring a noticeable improvement.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 952

Replies: 4

Related Articles