Unable to clone/copy Wifi Settings & do I need to change router info?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-06-27 02:24:02
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have bought a TP link powerline kit today. TL-WPA8630P
I plugged in the first pass through plug to wall power & connected to router via internet.
I then plugged in the extender nearby & succesfully paired them, the little house symbol LED turned green.

However I am unable to clone/copy the settings so I don't have to switch networks. I have tried pressing the WPS button & via the vodafone internet interface but no luck.
This will make using it difficult as I will have to constantly switch networks.

Any other suggestions?

If I manage to get them working, does this mean I no longer use the vodafone network as supplied on back of router, but instead use the TP-link one?

Thank you
Options
9 Reply
Re:Unable to clone/copy Wifi Settings & do I need to change router info?
2017-06-27 14:24:20
You can simply configure the 8630P to use the same SSID and passphrase as your main router. Also, set them both to fixed channels, and use non-overlapping channel numbers (at least four apart). While you are picking channels, survey your surroundings and choose channels that aren't busy with neighbouring WLANs.
Options
2017-06-28 16:46:18
That's very helpful thank yoy. So i need to stop using the vodafone original router ssid & just use whichever shared one i chose for the TP powerlibe devices, is that right? Surveying surroundings to find channels that arent busy soynds good, but how do i do that? I tried chosing chanbels at randon to see if signal 'seemed better' but is there a more objective/systematic method? Further questions: if each is on a different channel will the computer 'switch' between them thus interuppting signal? & what do i do about the difference between the channel on 2hz & the channel in 5 hz for each (since 2 hz is 1-16 or simillar & 5 hz is more like 36-48) I realise there is an awful lot i dont kniw about networking so very grateful for you help Best wishes
Options
2017-06-28 19:12:13
You copy the SSID and passphrase from the Vodafone router onto the TP-Link devices, and make sure you use different channels. Do this for both 2.4 and 5 GHz if present.

Devices will roam from one channel to the other typically when they lose signal from the farther one. How intelligent or quick that is depends on your device. Some phones, tablets and notebooks are more aggressive in this, some cling to the weak signal until it completely fails. This is configurable in some few of those.

Site surveys are best done with an Android phone and a suitable app. Some routers and access points even have a built-in feature for this.
Options
2017-06-29 15:35:52
Fab. Thank you, i'll see if i can find an app.. So then do i just get my devices to 'forget' the original ssid provided by my router when i 1st installed it withoit the powerline extenders or is there any advantage to changing that ssid to the same as the other 2 as well? My final (i hope!) Question is; i was expecting the led on the adapter with the 'network' symbol (branching flow chart type pic) to light up when the 2 powerlines were working on the same network, but assume they wont if i'm just cloning by coping the ssid manually. Is that correct & does it matter? Thank you
Options
2017-06-29 18:00:15
Just reuse your vodafone routers SSID and passphrase on the extenders. Your devices will connect to the extenders using the information they already have.

The LAN indicator LED will light up when you connect a LAN cable. Powerline link indicator is the one that looks like a house.
Options
2017-06-30 03:58:35
Thank you very much: Having re-read all those answers more carefully now, I think I understand better & was just being slow on the uptake. Thank you for being so patient!
Options
2017-06-30 16:58:24
Options
2017-09-12 01:57:24
I'm very glad I found this thread because I was stumbling around looking fruitlessly for the tpPLC Utility download (TP-Link has done a great job hiding this). I have the TL-WPA8630P kit and want to just change the password that came by default. I've now installed tpPLC on my laptop, and the laptop is connected to the TL-WPA8630P network. The utility guide says "Simply connect your computer to a powerline device via an Ethernet cable orwirelessly." But although I'm wirelessly connected, the utility is telling me I'm not. It's a pain to connect with a cable, so what's wrong?
Options
2017-09-12 01:59:01
I'm very glad I found this thread because I was stumbling around looking fruitlessly for the tpPLC Utility download (TP-Link has done a great job hiding this). I have the TL-WPA8630P kit and want to just change the password that came by default. I've now installed tpPLC on my laptop, and the laptop is connected to the TL-WPA8630P network. The utility guide says "Simply connect your computer to a powerline device via an Ethernet cable or wirelessly." But although I'm wirelessly connected, the utility is telling me I'm not. It's a pain to connect with a cable, so what's wrong?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1887

Replies: 9

Related Articles