Can I improve speed by adding more units?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-07-26 05:49:18
Model : AV500

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 140208

ISP :

I have a pair of PLC AV500. Using the tool, the connection between them is weak: 27 Mbps. I have gone through all the recommendations about extensions, motorised appliance noise, circuits, etc. Reality is I want the powerline in that position, which is about 4 rooms away (straight line distance is only about 20 metres).

The question is, if I were to buy another powerline adapter and put it in between, would that somehow improve the performance, kind of how mesh networks work? In effect, do the adapters relay/boost the packets sent around?

Also, if I get 27 Mbps out of a AV500 kit, would it be fair to assume that if I just replace it with a AV2000 kit, would me speed improve, potentially up to 4 times?

Alternatively, the only option I can think of is to have two pairs, each one taking half the distance, and then putting a tiny 10 inch ethernet cable between the two pairs to 'bridge' them, although I wonder if that would just create my own congestion on the powerline which again will affect performance and make it pointless?

Suggestions?

Thanks
William
Options
1 Reply
Re:Can I improve speed by adding more units?
2017-07-26 15:25:34
There are two paths you can go: (A) replace all the AV500 kit with faster ones. I'd go with AV1200 not AV2000, for the latter look a bit immature to me.

(B) is a little more effort, with substantially larger rewards: Devolo make a DIN-rail mounted AV1200 adapter that connects to up to three circuits ("phases" as we have it here in Germany). Mounting one of those into the central fusebox increased my powerline connection speeds up to tenfold.

Your bridging idea will actually make throughput worse, for all the PLC communication will still be on the same house wiring. Having two separate PLC networks on the same cabling will make the two interfere - unless you have advanced management tools (which TP-Link doesn't have) that lets you split the frequency spectrum between the two.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 599

Replies: 1

Related Articles