Auto switching to best connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-08-14 19:31:18
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have a Virgin Media Super Hub 3 connected to a Virgin Tivo box, in the bedroom on the first floor. In the lounge there is a Virgin V6 box (the engineer said the hub needed to be connected to the box in the bedroom, rather than the lounge).
The wifi is fast but the range is not great. I bought the TP-WPA8630 as wifi in the downstairs kitchen is very patchy. The super hub 3 has both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz connectinos, but I don't have to pick the best one, it does that automatically.

I've set the
TP-WPA8630 extender and adaptor up, and see both the 2.4Ghz wifi hotspot and the 5Ghz hotspot. The problem is I have to keep manually selecting the TP connection when I move between the lounge (where the Virgin wifi connection is good) to the kitchen. It then doesn't pick up the Virgin connection when I go back to the lounge, so you're constantly manually selecting the best connection. I can see the Virgin connection in the kitchen but it's very weak and will drop. I tend to use an iPhone or iPad when on the wifi.

Is there a way to ensure you can automatically connect to the best connection, without having to go into the iPhone/iPad and click off the weak signal and select the strong one?

Thanks in advance

Arren
:)

Options
3 Reply
Re:Auto switching to best connection
2017-08-15 18:17:06
Did you follow the manual to do wifi clone? You may follow the instruction to do the clone, then the tp-link will have the same wifi name as your main router.
http://uk.tp-link.com/faq-398.html

Actually there is no way to make sure the wifi won't disconnect even if you have done the wifi clone, however the disconnecting time will be short according to the performance of different clients.
Options
2017-08-16 00:20:49
Thanks flying snow. I did try this previously, but I think I may have made a mistake

Will try this again later and report back.
Options
2017-08-16 15:57:10
You need to set all the WiFi access points to the same SSID and passphrase, including the 2.4 and 5 GHz choices. Even then, it is entirely up to the client device how, when and how often it looks for a stronger connection. Many smartphones tend to cling to what they have, no matter how weak, and only scan for a new connection when they lose the existing one completely.

There is a new method, "mesh WLAN", available in the very latest products from prime manufacturers. This makes the WLAN APs aware of each other, and allows letting the WLAN AP mesh do the connection steering.

This is of course not implemented in the hardware you have - and it essentially requires all the WLAN APs to be from the same vendor and on the same firmware level.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1090

Replies: 3