TL-PA7020 Kit (UK) Ver1.0 - one device slow in one direction

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-08-29 20:20:47
Model : TL-PA7020 KIT (UK)

Hardware Version : 1.0

Firmware Version : 3.2.0_702011_151203_006

ISP : Plusnet (BT Wholesale)

Recently purchased 2 kits (4 adapters) so that I could move my Sky Q box upstairs and run a Sky Q Mini box downstairs. Worked perfectly to start with (couple of hours) then started getting stuttering from video playback.

Downloaded the TP-Link tool to investigate and spot that I get around 70Mbps in one direction from the one adapter in the downstairs room (it gets around 235Mbps in the other direction). This is clearly my problem!

I have tried switching adapters, using the old one (Netgear unit, was worse) and changed network cables around the place to see if any of that helped. I still consistently see around 70Mbps from the specific adapter upstairs where the Sky Q box is to the downstairs room where the Mini box is. All the other connections seem fine.

Any ideas? Problem with the electrical socket or wiring?

Thanks,
Col.
Options
3 Reply
Re:TL-PA7020 Kit (UK) Ver1.0 - one device slow in one direction
2017-08-30 17:37:06
70Mbps is too slow. There might be interference between those two adapters. Move it to a different outlet. And move away from high power appliances. It's hard to tell which appliance affect it, so you need to do some tests. Or compare it by moving the adapters in the same room.
Options
2017-08-31 22:40:45
Thanks, I did already do some swapping around but I need to be more systematic this time. Will have a play around and see where the issue lies, whether it's a specific socket or what.
Options
2017-09-04 16:53:51
After swapping to different outlets in the same room, conclusion was that since this room has a coal fire, perhaps the sockets themselves were to blame since all 3 of them are slow (maybe some soot or residue inside the sockets - it's a theory anyway!).

So I just replaced the socket/faceplate in the downstairs living room (the receiver in this case). Speed went from 60-80Mbps to 130-140. I am now seeing some strange fluctuations elsewhere on the network, down to 12Mbps sometimes, but not for long periods (settling at over 400 for longer periods).

Some strange things going on, this is a relatively new build property (30 years) - which might be a longer time in terms of wiring age. Will keep an eye on it and consider getting some re-wiring done, but for now the Sky box can live with ~130Mbps.

Cheers!

[edit]
Now back down to 70Mbps.. sigh.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 477

Replies: 3