Archer ac750 dual band as AP only

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-03-28 04:06:56
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Can I set this router to be only a WiFi Access Point?

I have a router from my ISP for WAN on 192.168.1.xxx this is connected to a Netgear Switch, to this, all my cabled devices connect to the same LAN.

I have disabled the WiFi on my ISP router and have a Firewall, IDS, AV and IPS system that I want to sit between the ISP router and the rest of my network so all traffic is scanned and protected. This is why I have a separate router for WiFi, If I used the ISP router for WiFi traffic would not pass through my system bypassing the protection.

For my WiFi, I have been using the Archer with a LAN 192.168.0.xxx, and I used the WAN to connect to the switch on 192.168.1.xxx with the gateway set to the ISP router. This works but, of course, nothing on the WiFi LAN can talk to anything on my switched LAN.

I cannot make the gateway IP different to the WAN network, and I cannot make the WiFi network the same as the WAN network, so I have to have the WAN as 192.168.1.xxx and the WiFi as 192.168.0.xxx.

What I want to end up with is nodes on one network to be able to access resources on the other, or just have one LAN wifi and Ethernet.

Can this be done ?
Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer ac750 dual band as AP only
2018-03-28 15:52:34
normally WiFi lan of Archer can access switch lan while switch lan can't access the Wi-Fi lan as it is protected by Archer c7.
i don't know what you want to do.
basically if you want to make Archer access point only, you just need to connect the switch to lan instead of wan on archer. Then disable DHCP server on the Archer C7. So all the devices are in 192.168.1.XXX. Don't forget to change the lan ip of archer to 192.168.1.252 for further management. (you need to disconnect wan cable so can do this)
Options
2018-03-28 18:31:30
Thanks for the reply.

So if I connect one of the switch ports on the Archer to my Netgear Switch on the 192,168.1.xxx LAN so all my WiFi devices get an address in that range, I would still not be able to access a WiFi printer from a PC on the Netgear, Is that correct?

If I connected my printer to the LAN, WiFi devices would be able to access it, in other words, WiFi >> LAN OK, LAN >> WiFi blocked
Options
2018-03-29 10:25:42
as long as your printer ip is in the same subnet of your WiFI and LAN device, they should be able to print.
Options