Archer VR900 - modem freezes when plugging in USB hard drive

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-01-30 10:29:13

I've just upgraded my modem from an Archer VR1600V so I can take advantage of the USB 3.0 port to run a hard drive with media.

I have been having issues with my WD My Passport 2TB portable hard drive. When plugged in, the modem is almost guaranteed to freeze and stop working after 10 minutes. I tried plugging in other USB 3.0 portable hard drives and it doesn't seem to create any issues.

Does anyone know what would be the best way to fix it? I've currently just left it unplugged, but after trying around 5-6x, I'm fairly convinced that it has something to do with compatibility with the hard drive.

I've plugged in the hard drive into a computer to check if there are any errors, and there are none. Also it's worth mentioning that when the hard drive is plugged into the modem router, the media inside the hard drive runs/streams perfectly fine until the modem freezes and everything stops working (the internet, I can't even access the portal).

Options
2 Reply
Re:Archer VR900 - modem freezes when plugging in USB hard drive
2019-01-30 14:12:09
Sounds like an issue with the drive since other drives work okay. The power draw may be to high for the router. May want to try a powered hub. Have you tried it on the 2.0 port of the router and have you tried using a different cable. Also do you unmount the drive before disconnect as per the instructions (safely remove)?
Options
Re:Re:Archer VR900 - modem freezes when plugging in USB hard drive
2019-01-31 20:21:51

I tried it on the 2.0 port and it worked fine. By a powered hub, does that mean buying a different (self powered) USB drive?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1346

Replies: 2

Related Articles