Dedicated VPN Router behind Deco m5

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-17 02:50:23
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.3.1 build 20190617 rel. 47476

Just bought and setup the m5 but setup in access point mode until I know I am able to run a dedicated VPN router behind the m5.

I run a linksys router with dd-wrt (192.168.1.1). Connected behind this router is another dd-wwrt that is setup and running openvpn configured for ipvanish (192.168.2.1 but I access web configuration using 192.168.1.4). I run a computer wired to the VPN router, and computers wired to the main router. All computers on the main router are able to see and access shares on the VPN router. There are some I followed a guide to set this all up because I only know basic networking.

I want to put the m5 into this and use as my main router but not sure it's possible or way beyond my knowledge. Can I just alter configuration on my existing main router so it no longer works as dhcp server and just plug it into the m5? There are a bunch of firewall rules on the router that I assume allows the VPN traffic through. There is also bridge setup on networking tab that I really don't understand.

I'm way out of my skill level and understanding. I suppose I could just make note of all configuration and experiment with settings but thought I would post to see if anyone has a simple solution.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Dedicated VPN Router behind Deco m5
2019-09-19 03:46:31

@Alister55 

What is the current network diagram? Does the 2nd router works in regular wireless router mode? What is the internet IP address and LAN IP address? 

The Deco M5 does not support VPN feature now, however it supports VPN passthrough. 

You can tell me the network topology you want to setup and the network request and then we can give you a specific answer.

Good day. 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:Dedicated VPN Router behind Deco m5
2020-01-11 03:46:09

I ended up keeping my existing setup, turning off wifi on main router and using the deco in access point mode. I lose the functionality of parental controls but it's my only solution at this time.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1584

Replies: 2

Related Articles