Wireless problem with new TL-WDR3600

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2012-12-26 08:25:48
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WDR3600

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version : 3.13.23 Build 120820 Rel.73549n

ISP : Virgin Media

Hardware version: WDR3600 v1 00000000

NB: Wired connections to the router work fine.

I'm having problems with the wire less connections to my new router. The following problems occur with a range of devices (mobile phones, tablets, game consoles, laptops; so we're talking WiiOS, Win7, Android Jellybean and Gingerbread, Win7 Mobile). The issues do not seem to be linked to a particular device, with any device having problems when another does not.

1) Device does not see WLAP AP SSID
2) Device connects to WLAN AP, can connect to TL-WDR3600 management web interface cannot connect to internet
3) Device connects to WLAN AP, but cannot connect to anything
4) WLAN AP SSID intermittently dissappears from scan list

These are not isolated issues (i.e. I don't only experience one of them at any one time).
eg. A device can connect, allow me to browse one page, then the AP can dissappear

Rebooting the device, toggling WiFi, rescanning / reconnecting does not seem to help.

One device can be experiencing one of the problems above, whilst a second device physically adjacent (eg. two mobile phones) is having problems.

The problem occurs when the device in running combined 2.4/5G, or either band individually.

I've changed many of the Wireless settings in an attempt to isolate a cause, but have not been able to determine what the problem is, including factory reset and reconfiguration.

I'm using WPA2-PSK. My previous router (D-Link DIR-615 with horrendous Virgin Media firmware) was working fine with the same in-house devices (known issues with pre-loaded VM firmware aside), and I am sorely tempted to return to that router since at least I can get devices running on the internet.

I can't see any newer firmware available on the website.

To summarise:
Wired connections are fine
Wireless connections are largely useless (fail to operate 90% of the time I try to use them)

Any clues?

Best regards and Happy XMas
Options
73 Reply
Re:Wireless problem with new TL-WDR3600
2012-12-26 10:21:05
:confused:How many wireless clients are connected to the router at the same time?
Options
2012-12-26 21:42:42

Andrew wrote

:confused:How many wireless clients are connected to the router at the same time?

Potentially 15 devices, but this is happening with 2. Not tried 1. I can't see a limit specified in the configuration for number of wireless clients, nor would I expect to hit such a limit.

Many thanks
Options
2012-12-28 14:01:00
Region : UnitedStates

Model : TL-WDR3600

Hardware Version : v1.0

Firmware Version : 3.13.23 Build 120820 Rel.73549n

ISP : Bright House

Hardware version: WDR3600 v1 00000000

NB: Wired connections to the router work fine.

I'm having the same issue with the same setup. I have a mix of wired and wireless devices and from time to time all wireless connections just fail. Windows shows a wireless connection is established but nothing on the internet will load. I've tried ipconfig /release then /renew as well as disabling the device then re-enabling along with rebooting the device connecting. This happens with Windows 8, Windows 7, Android phones, Kindle Fire tablets and TiVo devices. I have less than 10 wireless devices connecting at any time and when this happens they all drop offline.

The only solution I've found when this happens is to reboot the TL-WDR3600 by power cycling it.

I've tried a mix of settings but nothing that I've found to make it stop happening. I use both 2.4GHz & 5GHz. I'm not exactly sure but it seems to happen more often if I have devices connected actively to the 5GHz band.
Options
2012-12-28 14:39:46

ajones wrote

Potentially 15 devices, but this is happening with 2. Not tried 1. I can't see a limit specified in the configuration for number of wireless clients, nor would I expect to hit such a limit.

Many thanks

if 15 clients are connected to the wireless network at the same time, it might be a problem if the router cannot handle it. Maybe you can connect 3 or 4 clients to the network, and have a test to see whether the quantity of the clients is the problem or not.
Options
2012-12-28 14:51:45
Brentil, Can you ping the IP address of the router? Maybe you can try to change the wireless channel to see how it goes.:)
Options
2012-12-29 07:03:10

Joy wrote

Brentil, Can you ping the IP address of the router? Maybe you can try to change the wireless channel to see how it goes.:)

I manually set the 2.4 GHz to channel 9 and the 5 GHz to channel 40.

I can currently ping the router but everything is working right now. If it fails again I'll see if I can still ping the router.
Options
2012-12-29 11:43:48
Try to ping 8.8.8.8 and if it is ok, but google.com fails, it is a DNS issue. Otherwise, you may try channel width 2.4GHz, and disable WMM under wireless advanced.
Options
2012-12-29 21:14:47
A DNS issue when wored connections work? They use the same setting, provided by the router.

MAX 15 devices, fails seen with only 2.
Options
2012-12-30 08:47:43
15 devices are too many. To reduce the number of wireless clients to 8-10, at most 12 clients and test.
Options
2012-12-31 06:35:48
Many thanks for the responses, they really are appreciated. However, as I've already stated twice, this can happen with only 2 (two, dos, deux, dwa...) not 15... that is the MAX number of devices that could be attached, and is not an unreasonable number. Please do not focus on that

At the time of writing, there are 4 (four) wireless devicesa active in the house. The smart phone I am typing on (Moto Razr), my wifes Lumia 800 which are both ok, and an O2 Joggler and Moto Xoom 2 ME which cannot see the SSID.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 8572

Replies: 73

Related Articles