Deco M9 Plus (3set) Red light but wifi & wired works. App: Connection with other decos where broken

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M9 Plus (3set) Red light but wifi & wired works. App: Connection with other decos where broken

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-04 21:11:04 - last edited 2019-10-04 22:22:03
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.8 Build 20190403 Rel. 43515

Dear TP-link,

Today I bought your TP-Link Deco M9 Plus - 3 units set. And installed them. For some reason one of the units (the one on the third floor) is blinking red. (at some moments it is green but only for short moments) But I alwys get Wifi off it and I also have an UTP cable connected to it with my PC on it and this also seems to work fine (Great speeds also, max I can get out of my internet package.) 

Also if I look in the app it says something like: "Connection with other decos where broken" (translated from dutch to english). And shows the units as not connected. but I get internet from it...

I have the latest firmware installed and the units are divided on 3 floors and stacked almost on top of each other on each floor. So apart like 2.5/3 meters meters with the ceiling in the way.

- On first floor it's in the Fusebox/meter cupboard, where to internet connection is coming in (Cable connection with 250/50 mbit) the Devo m9 plus module (Main one) is connected through a Cable modem/router.

- Second floor it's sitting in a room, but I have put a UTP cable in it that supplies internet from the Cable Modem/router to this floor, for a better connection (Hope that this is possible)

- Third floor landing of the attic, where it has no internet line input through UTP but I use the UTP to connect the Deco M9 plus to my PC, in my Mancave. 

A little side note: I also tried changing from Router to AP mode. But then I lose functionality like the parental features so I switch back to Router mode again. 

I hope you can help me...

Regards,

Dave D.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco M9 Plus (3set) Red light but wifi & wired works. App: Connection with other decos where broken
2019-10-23 06:21:53

@DMC_D 

Hello, so the current network diagram is like below?

Cable modem--wired cable--Main Deco(first floor)

--wired cable--slave Deco A( second floor)

)))wireless((( slave Deco B (third floor)  

If so, to make them work correctly, all the Decos need work as the access point, while per you said, you switched them back to the router mode due to the advanced features. 

Generally speaking, we connect one main Deco to the modem by wired cable and configure it as the router, the slave Deco need connect to the main Deco by wired cable or wireless to build up the mesh network. 

First you can relocate these Deco units and verify whether the slave Deco B works well.

And you can exchange their locations between slave Deco units. 

Still the same, when the slave Deco B flashes red, please connect your computer to it and click here to get the IP and gateway. 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:Deco M9 Plus (3set) Red light but wifi & wired works. App: Connection with other decos where broken
2020-05-23 18:03:12

@DMC_D 

My comments are more basic.  I am a non-techy.  I bought the Deco M9 set of three.  They installed just fine the first time, but then I tried to move some of the units around to different locations to test speeds.  When I did that, the units I moved came on with a red light.  There's no explanation anywhere in the Deco app about what that means.  After swearing repeatedly and deciding that I had a defective unit that I would probably have to return, the unit suddenly on its own went to green and is working fine.

So apparently, if you have installed your units correctly the first time (which was very easy fo this non-techy), and you then unplug one of the units and plug it back in, the yellow light will go red in about 2 minutes (not blue!). If it doesn't start blinking red immediately, it will.  After about a minute or two, the blinking red light will turn green!  Be more patient than I was.  I just happened to leave it blinking red and went off in a huff to research the issue.  When I came back, it was green.  I have since moved the units several times and they are working fine.

I'm a little troubled by the speed ratings I am getting from the SpeedSmart app.  The networks tests at 24 MBPS for downloads and 3 MBPS for uploads almost universally throughout my two story house.  Is that good?  The Wifi indicator on my desktop in my upstairs bedroom shows maximum bars which is better than it was with my old range extender.  I'm hoping my Zoom meetings will have fewer issues....

Good luck!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4562

Replies: 2

Related Articles