Wireless problem with new TL-WDR3600

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Wireless problem with new TL-WDR3600

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
73 Reply
Re:Wireless problem with new TL-WDR3600
2012-12-31 07:32:08
I've already tried changing the bandwidth (20, 40, auto) and have disabled WMM. Still getting the problem :(

As for ping, one of the problems reported is that I can connect to the web interface of the router wirelessly, but at the same time cannot connect through the router to the internet. I've not tried ping but will whip out the laptop again.
Options
2013-01-10 21:47:33
I have been able to connect all my existing devices to Netgear Wireless for years without any issue. Ever since I started using the WDR3600, my DROIDX, DROID3, and HTC Incredible android phone are not able to connect or connected wirelessly but not able to access the internet. Hopefully, the next firmware would fix this issue but currently I am out of luck using the wireless feature. My Windows 7 Thinkpad laptop does work using wireless.
Options
2013-01-11 23:55:18
I have a pair of WDR3600 routers - one as a second wired AP to improve wireless coverage.

Generally I have no problems connecting devices often in the region of 20 wireless clients, but have seen issues switching between the two devices when clients move around the home, and also occasional strangeness with my Android devices.

I have a hunch on that there might be problems using the internal DNS in some cases which I have not isolated yet. I believe that I can always ping external addresses when I have the problems I see, so can I ask/suggest that you try something? In your DHCP configuration please set the DNS servers for the clients as public external DNS servers (you can use 8.8.8.8 which is the Google DNS, or use Norton's DNS https://dns.norton.com). This means that the clients will bypass the internal DNS server which is where I think the problem may lie.

Thanks
Options
2013-01-12 18:34:43
One is main router, another is AP, then it is better to avoid the Channel conflicts on these two WIFIs.
Options
2013-01-15 01:17:12

brummygit wrote

I have a pair of WDR3600 routers - one as a second wired AP to improve wireless coverage.

Generally I have no problems connecting devices often in the region of 20 wireless clients, but have seen issues switching between the two devices when clients move around the home, and also occasional strangeness with my Android devices.

I have a hunch on that there might be problems using the internal DNS in some cases which I have not isolated yet. I believe that I can always ping external addresses when I have the problems I see, so can I ask/suggest that you try something? In your DHCP configuration please set the DNS servers for the clients as public external DNS servers (you can use 8.8.8.8 which is the Google DNS, or use Norton's DNS https://dns.norton.com). This means that the clients will bypass the internal DNS server which is where I think the problem may lie.

Thanks

OK I seem to have found my problem - its nothing to do with WiFi channel conflicts.

A bug in the NAT engine which blocks wireless connections from my second WDR3600 getting to the primary WDR3600 via a wired link. This only happens if I turn off hardware NAT on the second router, but my wired connection from the second router can't connect to the internet unless I disable hardware NAT (as advised by TP-Link support).

It seems that the NAT code is buggy and could be a source of other problems.
Options
The way I do it.
2013-01-15 14:15:39
For me, when trying to use two routers to extend coverage I always recommend the following:

Setup the first router connected to the Internet source as you would normally, defaults, NAT on, DNS on, DHCP on, etc.

Then connect direct to the second router (not connected to the first router yet), set up the mode to just be Access Point. Or simply turn off DCHP, DNS, NAT, etc. It's just going to bridge your local wired network of the first router to the Wifi radio of the second unit. Set the SSID of the Wifi to the SAME name as the first.

Run the hard wire connection from one of the LAN ports of the first router over to the LAN port of the second device in Access Point mode. Leave the WAN port disconnected. You're not using the router as a router, just a simple access point.

Users connecting to the wifi of the second device will get it's DHCP and DNS service from the first router, but directed out the wired LAN ports over to the second device and then out the Wifi.

Having both units set to the SAME SSID employs the roaming feature of Wifi. Your user devices, once connected to one of routers, will flip back and forth between units as the signal changes. There may be momentary pauses in connectivity when this happens.

Hope this helps someone.
Options
2013-01-16 06:07:56
Firmware Version:
3.13.23 Build 120820 Rel.73549n
Hardware Version:
WDR3600 v1 00000000

Hi, we are having wireless issues with our WDR3600 too. The unit is brand new, less than a week since bought. They happen between 3 and 15 wireless clients. The issues are at the 2.4GHz band, 5GHz works fine but we have just one 5Ghz user.

It looks like the internet connection goes off, but wired connections (and 5GHz) works fine. The rest of the users can't ping the router, it just says connection timed out. It seems that the router is dead, but wired is fine.

Rebooting fixes the issue but it's very annoying. This issue is a dealbreaker to us, because we connect with VPNs often, and if the connection goes down, we have to reconnect to the VPN, reset the opened sessions at our client's systems, etc.

It happens everyday, every 30 minutes or so, when we have a lot of activity. It's a work environment and it's just web browsing and email, no videos, torrents, etc.

We tried disabling hardware NAT but it does not help.

I don't want to flash DD-WRT, I would really like to use stock firmware for this office. Does anyone know any workarounds? Already tried disabling 5GHz, setting wireless channels manually/auto, 20MHz/40MHz, etc.
Options
2013-01-31 21:02:39
Just a quick update.

Many of my problems have gone now, messing about with various settings didn't seem to make any difference; you're not going to like this, but they just started working again. I still occasionally find that it takes a long time for mobile devices to connect through to the internet (1-2 mins) but can live with that. My final problem was with a HP wireless printer which would not succesfully connect to the router. Finally sorted by switching authentication to TKIP (from auto)... not an ideal situation but at least I can print now!

This solution was found through DD-WRT forums and also seems to work with XBOX connection issues.

For what it's worth, there definitely seems to be issues with the latest firmware and 2.4GHz wireless
Options
2013-02-01 06:26:11

itoledo wrote

Firmware Version:
Hardware Version:
WDR3600 v1 00000000

Hi, we are having wireless issues with our WDR3600 too. The unit is brand new, less than a week since bought. They happen between 3 and 15 wireless clients. The issues are at the 2.4GHz band, 5GHz works fine but we have just one 5Ghz user.

It looks like the internet connection goes off, but wired connections (and 5GHz) works fine. The rest of the users can't ping the router, it just says connection timed out. It seems that the router is dead, but wired is fine.

Rebooting fixes the issue but it's very annoying. This issue is a dealbreaker to us, because we connect with VPNs often, and if the connection goes down, we have to reconnect to the VPN, reset the opened sessions at our client's systems, etc.

It happens everyday, every 30 minutes or so, when we have a lot of activity. It's a work environment and it's just web browsing and email, no videos, torrents, etc.

I don't want to flash DD-WRT, I would really like to use stock firmware for this office. Does anyone know any workarounds? Already tried disabling 5GHz, setting wireless channels manually/auto, 20MHz/40MHz, etc.

Hi all,
I have exactly the same router and the same problem anybody know how slolve the problem?
Thank you for any answers.
Options
2013-02-03 01:17:42

itoledo wrote

Firmware Version:
Hardware Version:
WDR3600 v1 00000000

Hi all,
I have exactly the same router and the same problem anybody know how slolve the problem?
Thank you for any answers.

Hi all

Same problem here with the TL-WDR3600 and 2.4 ghz band, but it happens only a few times every week
Options
Related Articles