Is the TL-SG105 switch a good choice for IPTV?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-13 14:11:57 - last edited 2019-10-21 08:52:38
Model: TL-SG105  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: No idea.

I was looking for a switch to buy to use with my 2 IPTV boxes (and regular Internet). I saw that the TL-SG105 switch (unmanaged) had support for "IGMP snooping" (my IPTV provider doesn't use VLAN). I am not a network expert (I barely know anything about networks to be honest) but I have heard that "IGMP snooping" is a good feature to have if you intend to connect IPTV to the switch... but I have also heard that some IPTV services will get their connection blocked by the switch if "IGMP snooping" is enabled. Is there any truth to this? Can I expect my two IPTV boxes to work with the TL-SG105 switch?

How does IGMP snooping work on an unmanaged switch anyway (I have never seen "IGMP snooping" be advertised by any other unmanaged switch so I am pretty confused)? I was under the impression that IGMP snooping only worked on managed switches. Is there a way to turn off IGMP snooping if it ends up causing issues with my IPTV (since the switch is unmangaed/non-configureable I am guessing that that is not possible)?

Sorry for asking many questions.

Thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Is the TL-SG105 switch a good choice for IPTV?-Solution
2019-10-18 14:30:20 - last edited 2019-10-21 08:52:45

@Kevin_Z Yeah, I got the switch today and plugged it in. Everything, including IPTV, works with no problems! :)

Guess I was worried for nothing. 

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Is the TL-SG105 switch a good choice for IPTV?
2019-10-14 09:21:00 - last edited 2019-10-25 11:42:09

@Schytheron 

Hello, the TL-SG105 supports IGMP Snooping V1/V2, it is enabled by default, cannot be turned off. In other word, no configuration needed for unmanaged switch.

As far as I know, IGMP snooping is good for IPTV feature, and managed switch does support IGMP Snooping, and it can be customized. 

For more information about IGMP snooping, you can refer to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IGMP_snooping.

Good day. 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2019-10-14 13:21:47

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks for the answer!

I was mainly wondering if IGMP snooping can cause issues with certain IPTV providers (I have heard that rumor before but I don't know if there is any truth to it). Is it garantueed that my IPTV will work with IGMP snooping enabled? I have heard that IGMP snooping can reject certain connection if enabled.

Options
2019-10-18 07:06:16

@Schytheron 

As far as I know, there is no such feedback reported by our customers that the IGMP snooping will affect the performance of the IPTV service.

And per I said before, it is good for IPTV service. 

If you worry about that, you can order one first but confirm its return/refund policy, if it does not work, you can return it or get the refund.

Good day. 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:Is the TL-SG105 switch a good choice for IPTV?-Solution
2019-10-18 14:30:20 - last edited 2019-10-21 08:52:45

@Kevin_Z Yeah, I got the switch today and plugged it in. Everything, including IPTV, works with no problems! :)

Guess I was worried for nothing. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2019-10-21 08:52:14

@Schytheron 

Thanks for your reply, glad to hear that it works well. 

If need more help in the future, do not hesitate to contact us.

Good day. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 8252

Replies: 5

Related Articles