Skype for Business Dropouts with Archer C2300

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-16 08:06:32
Model: Archer C2300  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.0.3

I recently purchased the Archer C2300 to replace an old Billion that was on its last legs.   I connect my work laptop to one of the wired ports and use it to work from home.   Our company uses Skype for Business over Global Protect VPN.   Whenever I am on an important Skype call (usually with many staff located around the globe) the Skype application will lose its connection about once every 15 minutes - Skype itself reports it has lost the connection, and any audio and shared content on the Skype connection is lost.  It then reconnects after about 5 seconds.  Global Protect tells me that the VPN connection is stable, so it must be just the Skype application that is losing its connection to the Microsoft server.   Can you please advise what settings might be causing these drop-outs?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Skype for Business Dropouts with Archer C2300
2019-12-17 06:03:21

@ColinI 

Hello, what is the current network diagram? How do you connect the skype to the Archer C2300? 

What about other devices? Do they lose connection when the skype stops working? 

Try to enable the QoS and enable the priority toggle for this device. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2693/

Good day. 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2019-12-17 22:38:03

@Kevin_Z 

The laptop is wired directly into the Archer, which is then wired into the Internet HFC modem (provided by Australia's NBN).   Very simple.

I already prioritized my work laptop using QOS, but Skype still experienced drop-outs.   Note that it seems to be only when we are in a call that includes audio and screen sharing, rather than just Skype texting, and it works for a while before all of Skype loses the connection.   I am wondering if there is some sort of port blocking that might be causing the trouble...?

Thanks for you assistance

Options
2019-12-18 05:51:41

@Kevin_Z 

I just noticed that Global Protect silently reconnected when Skype dropped out, and then reported that it has been connected for the last 8 hours!?!   Clearly it is lying about how long it has been connected.

So perhaps the issue is with the Global Protect VPN software rather than Skype?   I see that it uses IPSec and on the Archer I have "Enable IPSec Passthrough" ticked - is this correct or do I need to do something differently in the configuration?

Thanks again,

Colin

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1024

Replies: 3

Related Articles