Same SSID on 2.4 & 5Ghz - and a few Q's

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-01-04 21:36:15
Region : Denmark

Model : TL-WDR4300

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : S-Ver = 3.13.23 Build 120810 Rel.44064n

ISP :

Hi Forum

I just got a TP-Link TL-WDR4300.

1:
While setting it up manually (Using Linux) , i was able to specify same SSID for the 2.4Ghz & the 5Ghz Radios.
But then i was wondering if it was allowed , and/or desirable. So for the time being i'm using 2 different SSIDs.

My intension was to have my homeunits automatically choose the Radio they prefered , and to avoid changing SSID (and therefore disconnect/reconnect)
And maybe even get a new DHCP addr.

I work with Cisco's on a daily basis , and their AP's can easily use the same SSID for both Radios ?

Can anyone explain if it's allowed to do so ?

2:
Ohh another thing i noticed ... In the syslog right after boot , the workgroup is set to WORKGROUP

********** SNIP ************
[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
netbios name = SOHO router
server string =
log file = /tmp/samba/var/%%m.log
max log size
********** SNIP ************

Hopefully this isn't the "final workgroup", i absolutely refuse to have my windows pc's using the default workgroup.

Is there anyway i can see/set the current workgroup ?

3:
And a little request for improvement :-)
Now that the firmware sipports sending the syslog via email , wouldn't it be possible to also specify an external (remote) syslogserver ?
I have a full syslogserver running at my home linux server , and would love to see the tp-link syslog messages appear there

4:
Fow now i haven't experienced any problems , but i read that 2.4Ghz instability could be an issue.
Right now i have HW-NAT enabled and WMM enabled on both Radios , i'd like to keep on using that if possible ,
and would therefore like to be offered the beta-firmware if i encounter any problems.

TIA
Bingo
Options
3 Reply
Re:Same SSID on 2.4 & 5Ghz - and a few Q's
2013-01-06 15:21:33
hi Bingo,
1 I think it is ok to set the same SSID for the 2.4Ghz & the 5Ghz Radios. you could have a try.
2 Do you know what these sentences mean? Is it the workgroup DHCP clients list?
3 it seems that the router does not support this. I think you can contact the tplink to put forward your advice.
4 there is no need to worry. if you encounter any problems, you could contact the tplink for help.
Options
2013-01-17 18:28:31

Bingo wrote

Region : Denmark

Model : TL-WDR4300

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : S-Ver = 3.13.23 Build 120810 Rel.44064n

ISP :

Hi Forum

I just got a TP-Link TL-WDR4300.

1:
While setting it up manually (Using Linux) , i was able to specify same SSID for the 2.4Ghz & the 5Ghz Radios.
But then i was wondering if it was allowed , and/or desirable. So for the time being i'm using 2 different SSIDs.

My intension was to have my homeunits automatically choose the Radio they prefered , and to avoid changing SSID (and therefore disconnect/reconnect)
And maybe even get a new DHCP addr.

I work with Cisco's on a daily basis , and their AP's can easily use the same SSID for both Radios ?

Can anyone explain if it's allowed to do so ?

TIA
Bingo

Hi Bingo
I have wondering the same thing as I also am having difficulties connecting with a Linux laptop. I am set up with one SSID for both frequencies but I am wondering if this is the correct way to operate. Also I have MAC filtering applied and I need to know if I need to set it up twice as it appears under 2.4 and 5 Gig frequencies. Have you tried changing the mode to 2.4 only and then connect again, that is what I am going to do next. When I try and connect to my router I have two options with two wireless cards but neither will get connnected, I just keep being asked for authentication all the time? ANy ideas
Options
2013-01-17 20:24:39

pompeyrodney wrote

Hi Bingo
I have wondering the same thing as I also am having difficulties connecting with a Linux laptop. I am set up with one SSID for both frequencies but I am wondering if this is the correct way to operate. Also I have MAC filtering applied and I need to know if I need to set it up twice as it appears under 2.4 and 5 Gig frequencies. Have you tried changing the mode to 2.4 only and then connect again, that is what I am going to do next. When I try and connect to my router I have two options with two wireless cards but neither will get connnected, I just keep being asked for authentication all the time? ANy ideas

I ended up making separate SSID's , and my Linux connects fine to both.

Why do you bother with mac filtering ?
Do you have any amateur hackers nearby ?
Any non amateur , can set up mac-spoofing on a linux in 2 minutes , and sniff any of your "allowed" mac addy's with kismet.

Due to that and that the "Non Boradcast SSID" is also broken in a few minutes.
I'm putting my trust in WPA2/AES , and a 22+ byte password , with rekeying every 300 sec.

I haven't tried any of your other suggestions

Rgds
/Bingo
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1916

Replies: 3

Related Articles