Archer C7 - Randomly and frequently restarting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-24 16:09:18
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.0.7

Been using this router for over a year now and it randomly restarts itself .

In the past 10 minutes it has done it 3 times. Infact, as i type this thread it has just done it again.

It will work fine for weeks and then it'll do it when it feels like.

In case it matters, my connection type is PPPoE.

One thing I have noticed but I can't say for certain if its the case 100% of the times is that it seems to happen more often when I have guests connected to my network.

I can't imagine how or why that would make a difference, but, it does seem to happen every time they are here. But ofcourse, no one has access to my admin login in the case that someone would be restarting it from the device's local page.

Really hope someone has an answer, Thanks in advance.

Options
11 Reply
Re:Archer C7 - Randomly and frequently restarting
2020-11-12 14:02:54

@Aman.B 

I also have this issue and have not seen any fix for this problem. I have been having the problem infrequently but it's annoying when playing online games or trying to pay the bills. My router is the Canadian version 5.0. I bought the router back in April 2019 I feel like it should have lasted longer than less than two years.

Options
2020-11-12 14:33:08

@Lelwyr 

I wish i had a fix to give u, but i just gave up. Only 3 days ago i got myself a new router.

I would have preferred not going for TP link this time but since i got it from an old computer parts dealer (as oppose to online shopping like with the c7) he told me that he will personally guarantee the 18 month warranty. So i got the C80.

However, i will say that when i unplugged the old one i saw that the TP link adapter was actually connected to one of my other devices and the router was running on some random adapter. Im not saying that it was acting up because it wasnt on its original adapter because im sure when i FIRST plugged it in I would have made sure it was connected to the adapter that came in the box.... but, just in case, u may want to see if urs is running the original adapter or not.

Options
2020-11-13 07:37:50

Hi @Aman.B, thanks for sharing your valued finding with the community, we do appreciate that. We do suggest our customers use the original adapter with the router, just in case there is insufficient power adapter and cause the router behave abnormally.

@Lelwyr 

Hello, thanks for reporting the issue but please provide some details about the reboot issue then we will try to investigate and offer a solution ASAP.

Ensure you are running the latest firmware on the C7.

When the router restarts, are all the LEDs turn off then on automatically and the internet on it will temporarily down then recover? How long does this process take?

May I have your network layout, how is the C7 connected to your network? Are there any other range extenders or switch in the network? If yes, try to remove it first and confirm again.

Who is your ISP and what kind of modem are you using? Is it a Dynamic IP setup on the C7 WAN or PPPoE? 

How many devices are connected to C7, wired, and wirelessly? What are they? Is there any new device connected to the C7 network recently when the C7 begins to reboot? Or did you upgrade any system in the network before this issue happen?

Is there any other setting or feature in your network that may cause this restart issue, or is there any special operation/activity in your network that causes the C7 to restart, such as high loading or real-time calls? 

Is it the original power adapter on the C7? Is the power stable in your house? How about other electrical devices in your house, are they stable?

Try to reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure it from scratch, then confirm again.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-11-13 13:03:15

@Kevin_Z 

I have since replaced the router with a d-link. I still have the old router and I'll answer your questions the best that I can. Pretty sure I updated the firmware the first time I encountered the problem. Initially, when the router restarted it was as if it was a full reboot and the lights turned off and then slowly back on about  2 minutes I think. The last couple of times the lights stayed on, the internet one would flash between green and amber and it was only in the log that I saw a factory reset. The network is a simple setup from the Xplornet modem to the router. There are two computers(one wired one wireless) and two phones that are connected regularly as well as a Bose speaker that I use for internet radio. There are two more laptops that are not on as frequently and a PS4 and two tablets. There is generally only a max of 4 devices being used at a time. I don't believe there were any network changes when the problem first began. My husband had bought a new computer and was wireless with it but has since moved it to a wired connection. I believe that the connection type is not PPPoE. There are no access points. It was the original power adapter and I cannot think of anything on the network that would be causing the reboots. I live in an old farmhouse so the power may not be terribly stable but it is connected to a power bar. While checking the firmware I noticed that the numbers correspond with the US version 200268, not the Canadian 190814 and I have always used the auto-update so I have no idea why that would have happened. I may try to play around with it a bit more but since we have a new router I don't know if I'll prioritize it.

Options
2020-11-13 14:38:11

I managed to get the firmware to the Canadian version just not sure how I am going to test it without disrupting everyone else on the network.

Options
2020-11-16 01:41:27

@Lelwyr 

Thank you so much for all the detailed info, we appreciate that. 

Just to confirm again, what is the hardware version of your Archer C7, is it an Archer C7(CA) 2.0? Is the current firmware version on your C7 200268? This 200268 seems the latest version for the US version, please kindly confirm, thanks.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-11-16 02:01:30

@Aman.B 

Is it getting warm? Do you have it stitting above your modem or another media device?

It can cause it to restart and it could look fixed when you restart it as it cools down. I suggest try moving it to an area where it can get free old air around the top and bottom.

Worth a try!

Options
2020-11-16 02:31:03

@Kevin_Z 

It is an Archer C7(CA) v5. There is a new firmware since I was looking the other day for both  Canadian and US versions. The version that I downloaded and installed is no longer on the website but it was 190814 versus the 200628 that was on the router which is for the American router.

Options
2020-11-16 03:14:10

@Lelwyr 

Hello, thanks for getting back quickly. Can you please upgrade the C7 to the latest 201030 and confirm?

https://www.tp-link.com/ca/support/download/archer-c7/#Firmware

Options
2020-12-03 19:12:15

@Kevin_Z 

So I finally got around to installing and testing the newer firmware, although my router does still say it needs an update it currently states that it is the most recent firmware. Unfortunately, the problem seems to persist. My husband is the only one connected to the router now and it isn't in a good spot to see if all the lights turned off and back on when the disconnect happened and there is no mention of it in the system log. I've switched the router over to an access point to see if that helps. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2288

Replies: 11

Related Articles