Unable to access NAS locally when internet is down

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-14 13:37:30
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.2

I wonder if anyone can offer some advice/clarity to a problem.  I have a Deco M5 system with 4 units distributed through the house.  My router is a VM Superhub 3 which I have set to Modem mode.  The VM Superhub connects to the main M5 which is then connected to a TP-Link 16 port Gigabit switch to facilitate wired connection to various devices.  one of these devices is a WD MyCloud, which is used for storing video media.  Recently, my VM Superhub has taken to rebooting itself randomly (something which I may have to take up with VM separately).  Ordinarily, this wouldn't be too much of a problem, but if it occurs whilst I'm watching stored media from the MyCloud on my TV, the playback freezes then is lost, and I have to restart when the VM Superhub has rebooted.  Since the playback from the MyCloud is effectively a LAN activity and doesn't require an internet connection, why can't the Deco M5 system continue to distribute the signal from the MyCloud?  Am I missing something?  Any advice gratefully received.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Unable to access NAS locally when internet is down
2020-03-16 02:38:30

@RCC 

When the VM superhub reboot itself, please check the IP address and gateway of WD Mycloud and verify whether you can ping it from a local device. Please show us the ping results as well. 

And you can try to simplify the network diagram to give it a go, in other words, please connect the WD mycloud to the main Deco directly, bypass the switch, and with other slave Decos powered off, and then verify whether it is still the same thing. 

Good day. 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:Unable to access NAS locally when internet is down
2020-03-16 11:09:26
I’ve managed to find a solution to the problem. Firstly, I bought a TP-Link 5 port Gigabit switch. I then ran a network cable from the 16 port Gigabit switch (which the main Deco M5 is connected to) into the room where the second Deco M5 and TV are situated. I connected this new cable to the 5 port Gigabit switch, then connected both the second Deco M5 and the TV to this switch. I tested it by powering off the VM Superhub, and I was still able to connect to my NAS, so problem solved.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 855

Replies: 2

Related Articles