Slaves frequently loosing contact with main Deco P7

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-21 16:54:28 - last edited 2020-03-21 16:56:12
Model: Deco P7  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: latest, 1.3.1 build 20190704 Rel 46693

I seem to have version EU/1.1 (3 pack Deco P7)

I experience since several months back from time to time lost contact between the two slaves and the main Deco, which then still works (as AP) as it should. Upon rebooting the main Deco unit, the connection with the slaves is re-established and everything works again - untill the next time.....

This is very frustrating as this should not happen in the first place and secondly, it requires a manual reboot of the main DECO, close to the main router, which is located somewhere else than the two slaves.

Configuration: Router ASUS RT-N66U --- Main Deco --- ethernet cable class 5E--- TP-Link switch TL-SG105E --- ethernet cable class 5E --- TP-Link switch TL-SG105E --- slave 1. Slave 2 is wireless connected to the Main Deco. Several units (PC's, TV, etc)  are connected to the two TP-Link switches. I have no other switches.

When I first experienced the disruptions, I replaced my two previous D-Link switches with TP-Link switches ("could be the reason" acc TP-Link website), but that was clearly not the reason for the problems, as it made no difference :-(

What is wrong here?? Please advice me what to do! I need to be able to rely on my system, as I run a webserver and an email-server on my network.

I am pretty much ready to switch to something else by now...

Picture of details of main Deco:

Options
3 Reply
Re:Slaves frequently loosing contact with main Deco P7
2020-03-23 06:10:12

@RalfH 

Hey, we can get some details to do the further analysis first.

1. What is the led status of Deco when you lose internet? Do both wired connections and wireless connections have the same issue? 

2. When it stops working, please connect your computer to the main Deco directly and verify whether you can access internet; in the meantime, try to connect your PC to the modem, bypass the Deco and test whether it works.

3. Try to simplify the network diagram, in other words, connect the main Deco to the modem only with other slave Decos unplugged; and is there any heavy traffic network activities before it crashed? 

4. You can swap the locations of the Decos or switch the slave Deco to the main Deco to give it a go. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2400/ 

Best regards. 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-03-23 09:23:41

Kevin_Z wrote

@RalfH 

Hey, we can get some details to do the further analysis first.

1. What is the led status of Deco when you lose internet? Do both wired connections and wireless connections have the same issue? 

2. When it stops working, please connect your computer to the main Deco directly and verify whether you can access internet; in the meantime, try to connect your PC to the modem, bypass the Deco and test whether it works.

3. Try to simplify the network diagram, in other words, connect the main Deco to the modem only with other slave Decos unplugged; and is there any heavy traffic network activities before it crashed? 

4. You can swap the locations of the Decos or switch the slave Deco to the main Deco to give it a go. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2400/ 

Best regards. 

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks Kevin for your reply!

Q1: As far as I remember, the light on the main Deco was still green, but anyhow the wireless still worked on the main Deco when I checked with my phone close to the main Deco. Only the slaves are indicated as lost in the app, and their led is red. The wireless clients conneced to the slaves show an exclamation mark close to the wireless symbol.

Q2: As the wireless functionality still worked on wireless client (my phone) when connected to the main deco, see Q1, I did this more or less...

Q3: I have removed all other switches from my network and cannot simplify it more. The main Deco is directly connected to the router (as well as two servers and a backup server). The rest of the network (wired and wireless units) is connected to the internet through the main deco. See the description of my network in my original post.

Q4:I have put so many hours in reading posts, switching deco's, buying new TP-link switches, simplifying the setup, that I am reluctant to do it all over again. 

To me the whole system is quite buggy. Sometimes the app tells me my phone is wired connected to the deco (!), or doesn´t show upp in the list at all, while I am using it.... The stability was improved when I put the rest of network in series with the main deco though. But apparently, there are more bugs.

It looks like the system needs an overall check of the firmware.

/Ralf

Options
2020-04-25 17:27:07 - last edited 2020-04-25 17:28:47

@RalfH  here is an example of the Deco system claiming my Samsung S8 is wire connected to the system. Right now, the Deco claims I am not connected at all, while I am connected to the wifi.

Any feedback on these obviously wrong statements?? Sorry for the Swedish language, but I think you understand ....

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 646

Replies: 3

Related Articles