Totally new to MESH, M4s in box waiting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-15 18:32:32 - last edited 2020-12-16 15:01:35
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

OK i have my M4s and am ready to go and install BUT before that I have a question.

My router (supplied by ISP) can be set as a router or as just a modem. Currently it is in router mode and that's the way all my Wifi devices connect to it. Some with better connection than others dependant on their locations, hence the need for MESH

I am going to set up a MESH using M4s but want to keep,and maintain my original password and SSID, the one i use with my router currently.

I do not want to change either my password or SSID on any device.

Is this do-able or not

If so, how do I do that?

Thank you

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Totally new to MESH, M4s in box waiting-Solution
2020-12-15 20:24:13 - last edited 2020-12-16 15:01:35

@Speedbird1 

You need to decide if you want to use Deco mesh in router mode (parental controls, etc., etc.) or in Access Point mode (works like advanced range extenders, but nothing more). This will define what settings you'll need to review and tune for your Deco mesh.

I took an easy route and set my Deco mesh run in Acess Point mode.

As for mesh configuration, it is quite simple. This is how I did it for my home network, preserving WiFi SSID and password I had before Deco.

I started with turning off WiFi on ISP router. All home devices disconnected from WiFi, of course.

Next step was to unpack Decos, connect one of them by Ethernet cable to ISP router, start it and configure it. It will be Main Deco in my home network. Deco will start with its own SSID, leave it as is for a moment.

My Deco decided to update its software, which I let it to. As you may guess, I have already installed Deco app on my smartphone and used it to configure my Deco mesh.

When all was done with Main Deco, I changed its SSID and password to what was on my ISP router. Enough time passed for devices to forget they were connected to ISP router, so they saw SSID they know and automatically reconnected to it - now to Deco mesh.

Then, I added second Deco to the mesh, following TP-Link instructions. I bought 2-pack Deco, so only had two nodes to work with.

That's it.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Totally new to MESH, M4s in box waiting-Solution
2020-12-15 20:24:13 - last edited 2020-12-16 15:01:35

@Speedbird1 

You need to decide if you want to use Deco mesh in router mode (parental controls, etc., etc.) or in Access Point mode (works like advanced range extenders, but nothing more). This will define what settings you'll need to review and tune for your Deco mesh.

I took an easy route and set my Deco mesh run in Acess Point mode.

As for mesh configuration, it is quite simple. This is how I did it for my home network, preserving WiFi SSID and password I had before Deco.

I started with turning off WiFi on ISP router. All home devices disconnected from WiFi, of course.

Next step was to unpack Decos, connect one of them by Ethernet cable to ISP router, start it and configure it. It will be Main Deco in my home network. Deco will start with its own SSID, leave it as is for a moment.

My Deco decided to update its software, which I let it to. As you may guess, I have already installed Deco app on my smartphone and used it to configure my Deco mesh.

When all was done with Main Deco, I changed its SSID and password to what was on my ISP router. Enough time passed for devices to forget they were connected to ISP router, so they saw SSID they know and automatically reconnected to it - now to Deco mesh.

Then, I added second Deco to the mesh, following TP-Link instructions. I bought 2-pack Deco, so only had two nodes to work with.

That's it.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Totally new to MESH, M4s in box waiting
2020-12-16 10:52:05

@Alexandre. 

Thank you very much for that answer it was very helpful, however one further quick question if I may?

To follow your way of access as opposed to Router for the Deco, do I have to switch my original router to Modem mode or leave it in Router mode?

Thank you again

Options
2020-12-16 15:18:42

@Speedbird1 

>do I have to switch my original router to Modem mode or leave it in Router mode?

I suggest you leave your ISP router as is, only turning off WiFi on it. Only if that does not work, switch ISP router to modem mode.

In most cases you wouldn't need to mess with ISP router, but if you have specific gaming consoles at your home, some sort of advanced VPN setup or run servers from home - you might need to.

For more details on that topic, Google "double NAT."

Options
2020-12-16 22:25:42

@Alexandre. 

Sorted all good now thank you.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 527

Replies: 4

Related Articles