Archer C20 AC750 Firmware issue - urgent.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-16 18:45:57
Model: Archer C20  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 0.9.1 4.16 v0001.0 Build 181213 Rel.33336n(5553)

Hi,

I'm from Pakistan and I just bought a C20 router. 

I love the dual-band coverage and the benefits of 5G. However, while browsing the global site for TP-Link, I noticed that the latest firmware offered there is as followed:

While the local website for Pakistan (TP-Link PK) has an old firmware as below:

Which one should I download? 

Please note that I do not want to void my warranty and would highly appreciate if you could let me know if it is safe to use, also it would be better if our local TP-Link website had the latest firmware available as well. 

Thank you.

Options
17 Reply
Re:Archer C20 AC750 Firmware issue - urgent.
2020-12-17 00:30:05 - last edited 2020-12-17 00:45:54

You can't and you shouldn't upload a FW from one region to another region and vise versa. Here's the FW that will fit your device:

https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202010/20201009/Archer%20C20(EU)_V5_200915.zip

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2020-12-17 11:43:22

@Ivaylo 

Thanks buddy. Are you an official rep? I'd like to get an official response before I update the firmware. 

Are you aware of any issues with this new FW and can I downgrade?

I just don't want it to affect the dual band performance. 

Options
2020-12-17 12:14:58

@RageSpawn 

Hi,

So I tried to update it by uploading the FW file but it didn't work. 

Everything went fine but when the router rebooted, I could not connect to any network. It was as if it was dead even though all the status lights were working. I waited for about 15 minutes but nothing happened so I restarted the router. 

Luckily everything is working right now but the FW hasn't been upgraded. I used the EU version V5 as stated on my device and as mentioned by a User above as well. 

What went wrong? Did I damage my router? 

Options
2020-12-17 14:25:06 - last edited 2020-12-17 21:58:19

No, I am not an official rep. The FW that you stated on your device is the initial release (first FW for the device). What I've sent is the latest one. You can see the table, in my previous post, the fixes & features implemented. You haven't damaged your router. Did you receive a message that the FW has been upgraded successfully ?

Here you can track the FW versions for your device so far.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2020-12-17 17:26:26

@Ivaylo 

That's the thing. 

I didnt see any message. The router just disconnected and stopped working after completion. I waited for about 15 minutes and then rebooted manually, then it connected. 

I noticed that it still showed the old firmware version. 

The router started behaving weirdly. Frequent disconnections and the setup page started lagging. I got worried so I went to the offical website of TP LINK Pakistan and downloaded the original firmware. 

I installed it and everything seems to be working fine now. 

The power remained connected throughout and I upgraded over WiFi. I don't know what went wrong. 

Should I retry again? I'm just worried about damaging my new router though I don't think a FW installation is capable of doing that... 

Options
2020-12-17 22:02:37 - last edited 2020-12-18 01:09:57

You can try again, that should be straight forward operation. If anything goes wrong, you can go back to your initial FW as you already did.

After upgrading the FW, it might be a good idea to hard reset (Method 1) the router and re-configure from scratch - try that if you again happen to see the old FW version (like in the first attempt).

Options
2020-12-18 05:55:00

@RageSpawn 

Hello, kindly verify if your Archer C20 V5 is a US version or an EU version? Confirm it on your router bottom label. Generally, it is suggested to upgrade the official firmware uploaded on the local official website, DON'T upload the firmware in other regions, which may not work on your device and may damage your router then void the warranty.

Please check the local official website later, we will soon update it.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-12-18 07:55:03

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Kevin,

So this is weird. The local website has an EU version of the FW (check original post) while the label at the bottom of my router says it's a US version. 

What do I do now? 

And please elaborate on what you mean when you say that the FW may "damage" the router. I've heard that before but what does that really mean? Does it cause disconnection problems later on even after you recover and install the right FW or does it downright destroys it in the sense that it becomes unusable. 

I was able to recover from my failed attempt and reinstalled the FW on my local website and things have been okay so far. 

Did I damage or void my warranty by any chance? 

Thanks. 

Options
2020-12-18 11:58:13

@RageSpawn 

The design of the hardware or region version could be different due to different firmware adopted. Normally, it’s unable to upgrade firmware from an EU version to a US version or vice verse, it will be out of warranty if improper upgrade damage the device. It’s suggested to choose the correct firmware version to upgrade.

Back to your case, you may wait and check the latest firmware for your Archer C20US v5.0 patiently, we will soon update it, thanks a lot.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-12-18 19:37:38

@Kevin_Z 

Mine is working fine even after the disaster of an update. So I guess I'm in the clear and haven't damaged or voided my warranty. 

Please update me on when you will update the FW on our local website. 

Thanks. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1569

Replies: 17

Related Articles