Access Points

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Access Points

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Access Points
Access Points
2021-02-10 16:30:44
Model: TL-WR940N  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I live in a large house, and wifi was patchy.

I have run ethernet cable around the house, and now have 3 TL-WR940N routers acting as access points connected back to my cable modem via ethernet. I am with virgin, and the virgin wifi is shocking, so I only connect to the TP link routers by wifi.

My question is, my 3 access points have different SSID's. Can I have each access point have the same SSID? and if so, should they be set to the same channel?

I know I can set the TL-WR940N to be range extenders, but I assume these do not work using the connected ethernet

Options
4 Reply
Re:Access Points
2021-02-11 00:50:02 - last edited 2021-02-12 05:43:35

Yes, you can set all the SSIDs to be with the same name. But you won't benefit anything from that. Moreover if you have any smart home devices that could cause connectivity issues.

On the other hand if they are different you'll always know which one you have been connected to.

And yes, In RE mode you have to use wireless backhaul, not an ethernet cable.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-02-11 08:14:28

@Ivaylo 

My question was more aimed at the fact that when moving around the house, I don't need to switch wifi network, I will always be connected.

sort of creating my own mesh network

Options
2021-02-11 13:47:44 - last edited 2021-02-11 21:27:54

It doesn't work that way. If it does, then OneMesh, Deco and other mesh systems would not have been created.

Take a look at this.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-02-11 16:47:56 - last edited 2021-02-11 16:53:50

@MartinP69 

"... when moving around the house, I don't need to switch wifi network, I will always be connected."

Strictly speaking, this is actually true. But the problem with this setup is, that you will not always be connected to the AP with the strongest signal. 

For example, let's say your smartphone initially connected to AP #1 in the bedroom and then you walk to the kitchen, where you have placed AP #2. As long as the smartphone can still receive a weak signal from AP #1, it will stay connected to AP #1 and it would only connect to AP #2 if the signal from AP #1 dropped below the detection threshold. 

This is where the various Mesh systems come into play. They actively switch the client device to the AP that provides the strongest signal at the present location.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 618

Replies: 4

Related Articles