Archer C6 - WDS does not work

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-14 18:04:11 - last edited 2021-07-30 10:23:00
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.3.6 Build 20200902 rel.65591(4555)

Hi,

I bought an Archer C6 connected to the internet through the WAN port and want to extend the WiFi network. I found several cookbooks how to do that but no one works for me.

As a second router I tried Tenda N3 and Asus RT N-14U. I set up the WDS on the second router, then I set up WDS on the AC6. 

If I go to Advanced > Status > Wireless I can see WDS status as Assoc and then Run. But I do not have an internet access on the repeater.

I tried to name the repeater's SSID the same as on AC6 and different as well. But no success. I tried to switch on/off the smart connect but no success. I spent more than 6 hours with different combinations, searching what is wrong, several reboots. But no success.

Can somebody here confirm that WDS works for him/her ? Am I able to somehow debug what is going wrong ?

Can somebody paste again the exact settings on both sides which work for sure (Asus RT N-14U has only one global big switch to the repeater mode so I am not able to set anything more)?

Thank you in advance.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer C6 - WDS does not work-Solution
2021-02-14 18:28:01 - last edited 2021-07-30 10:23:00

@Vaclavpe 

Use this guide for configuring WDS.

If your main router is Archer C6 then the WDS settings should be made only on the extended router (according to its Web GUI interface - Tenda, Asus, etc.)

Keep in mind that you'll have to turn off the DHCP server on the extended router (Tenda, Asus, etc.) and for DHCP requests from your wireless devices you'll be using the C6's DHCP server.

Your extended router (Asus, Tenda, etc.) should be on the same LAN subnet as the main router (C6).

It is advisable that the extended wireless network SSID is different from the C6 (main router) wireless SSID.

It is advisable also to turn off C6's Smart Connect.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer C6 - WDS does not work-Solution
2021-02-14 18:28:01 - last edited 2021-07-30 10:23:00

@Vaclavpe 

Use this guide for configuring WDS.

If your main router is Archer C6 then the WDS settings should be made only on the extended router (according to its Web GUI interface - Tenda, Asus, etc.)

Keep in mind that you'll have to turn off the DHCP server on the extended router (Tenda, Asus, etc.) and for DHCP requests from your wireless devices you'll be using the C6's DHCP server.

Your extended router (Asus, Tenda, etc.) should be on the same LAN subnet as the main router (C6).

It is advisable that the extended wireless network SSID is different from the C6 (main router) wireless SSID.

It is advisable also to turn off C6's Smart Connect.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Archer C6 - WDS does not work
2021-02-15 10:48:41

@Ivaylo Hi, thank you for help, it looks it work with Asus. I will try to set up the Tenda router the similar way. I was confused that I had not seen the extender in the list of connected devices on AC6. But the reason might be that it is just transparent.

Options
Re:Archer C6 - WDS does not work
2021-02-15 13:26:25

@Vaclavpe 

Probably you won't see the extended router as a client of the main one.

It's enough to check that on the extended router - " Now you can go to Advanced > Status > Wireless to check the WDS status. When the WDS status is Run, it means WDS bridging is successfully built. "

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2448

Replies: 3

Related Articles