How to Use Smartphone`s Hotspot to Connect an AX50 to the Internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-16 15:09:58
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hello everyone,

I have an Archer AX50 at home and lately 5G capabilities have become more reliable and cheaper than my crappy cable internet provider.

Right now I`m using my smarphone`s hotspot to connect my laptops to the internet but I would like to use the AX50 so I can connect VR and TV as well.

How do I set it up so the AX50 would use my phone`s connection to access the internet?

Many thanks in advance for all who answers!

Options
3 Reply
Re:How to Use Smartphone`s Hotspot to Connect an AX50 to the Internet
2021-03-16 17:39:45

@Armilan 

It can't be done without additional hardware, because the AX50 itself doesn't provide any means for connecting it to a wireless hotspot.

One solution would be to buy another Wi-Fi repeater or Wi-Fi router that is able act as a Wi-Fi client that receives the signal from the phone's hotspot and then connects via Ethernet cable to the WAN port of the AX50.

In case your phone runs Android 11 with "Ethernet tethering" feature, then another solution could be to buy a compatible USB to Ethernet adapter that connects to the phone via USB and then via Ethernet cable to the WAN port of the AX50.

Options
2021-07-31 20:55:21

@woozle 

hey, so, on my case, I am planing to theter the internet from my android to the AX50 (via USB). This, with the intention of course of having a broader wifi signal that the poor hotspot signal that the smartphones provides. Besides, thetering via USB is a better for the smartphone battery than hotspotting. 

Give me a hand to understand something,,,,,the Thether APP is mainly to connect to the router and configure it, but not per se to theter the internet from the smartphone "into the router", correct? Or yes it is?

Options
2021-08-01 16:32:13 - last edited 2021-08-01 16:34:43

@Gibbz 

Hi,

The AX50 itself is only capable of getting connected to the Internet via Ethernet cable. No other means are supported.

Therefore, I still see only two methods that would allow the AX50 to utilize the Internet connection of a smartphone. Both are mentioned in the post above yours and both require additional hardware (and both are no ideal solutions). 

Here is a link to a post that has some more information about the method that involves a phone that supports "Ethernet tethering":

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/245882?replyId=559674

In case you are looking for a more permanent solution, then you should maybe consider a Wi-Fi router with a built-in 4G modem, where the SIM card is plugged directly into the router.

Yes, TP-Link's Tether App is mainly for configuration of the router. It can't be used to route the phone's Internet to the router.

Options