Archer GX90 and Xbox/PS5

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer GX90 and Xbox/PS5

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Archer GX90 and Xbox/PS5
Archer GX90 and Xbox/PS5
2021-04-22 07:40:21
Model: Archer AX11000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 20201021 rel.75785

I've recently bought the Archer GX90 Wifi 6 router and set it all up at home. Generally it works great, all devices like phones, macbooks and PCs are working fine at full speed and full wifi 6 speeds. The issue I am having is with both the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X which are connected wirelessly to the gaming band.

When doing speed tests they run around 250mbps (sometime with packet loss) yet all other devices are running around the full 550mbps that my UK Virgin 500 service provides. Obviously running them via Ethernet it works fine with no issue, but the GX90 doesn't have enough ports to get all devices running that way.

I have adjusted the channels etc and doesn't seem to make any difference at all either. I know the Series X doesn't support WiFi 6, but the speed is slower than my previous router.

I've also tried connecting them to the usual 5GHz band which isn't used for gaming, but get the same results. All seems very strange.

Concerned I've got a dud, and with no firmware update yet its a worry.

Options
7 Reply
Re:Archer GX90 and Xbox/PS5
2021-04-22 13:29:20

@Byron_Hinson 

Also despite the mention in the manual etc - the router is missing the speedtest built in too. Seems like a rushed out firmware?

Options
2021-04-23 02:46:27

@Byron_Hinson 

How about the link speed on the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X when they're connecting to the 5G network? What is the distance between them and the router? As per your description, it seems that all the other phones and laptops can connect to the router correctly with expected speed, it is suggested to check if you can update the software of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-04-23 08:55:41

@Kevin_Z

Distance from Router is about five foot away

Both Ps5 and Xbox series x both updated to latest firmware. 

The Link speed between the consoles and my GX90 fluctuated between 300 and 1200

i assume there is no new firmware to try. Shame as I got the router because it's supposed to be a gaming router, but it's the gaming side that's the issue. 

Options
2021-04-23 09:33:33

@Byron_Hinson 

What if you try to disable the 11ax for the 5G network, choose 802.11a/n/ac mixed, you can find it under Advanced >> Wireless >> Wireless Settings page.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-04-23 17:23:52

@Kevin_Z Gave it a try - still the same speed levels on both those consoles.

Options
2021-04-23 17:28:21

To give an idication of the issues:

Xbox Series X on the 5G Gaming Band - Download speed at 300mbps

Xbox Seriex X via Ethernet - Download speed 625mps

PS5 on the 5G Gaming Band - Download speed at 250mbps/300mbps

PS5 via Ethernet - Download Speed at 550mbps

All other devices are downloading at full speed fine

Options
2021-04-25 02:39:24

@Byron_Hinson 

To locate this issue and try to fix it, we would like to follow up on your case via email. Please check your inbox and provide the information that we need.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1449

Replies: 7

Related Articles