WIFI6

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

WIFI6

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
WIFI6
WIFI6
2021-07-06 02:26:04
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi.

I am thinking of upgrading to deco X60 from deco m5.

My question is, do I need to install a wifi6 capable router unit or is it OK for the only the mesh nodes be wifi6 capable?

My network topology is

ISP provided FIBR ROUTER wifi5 (no way I can change this since it has a unique fiber connector) > Main Mesh node > mesh nodes (ethernet wired and daisy-chained to other nodes).

I am lost if I need to connect a wifi6 modem via bridge BETWEEN the ISP provided modem AND the main Deco Unit.

thanks!

Options
2 Reply
Re:WIFI6
2021-07-06 15:24:57 - last edited 2021-07-06 19:22:56

@RoArJr 

I'll start with basics. Deco mesh provides its own WiFi network. You should turn off WiFi in your ISP router, because if it is on that could cause WiFi interference and other issues between two different WiFi networks. If you use same SSID for router WiFi and for Deco mesh, it is even worse.

With WiFi in router turned off, you should have the following network topology:

ISP provided FIBR ROUTER (no wifi) > Main Mesh node M5 (wifi5) > mesh nodes M5 (wifi5)

With this, if you wish to upgrade to X60s, the answer to your question is very much obvious: you do not need to install a wifi6 capable router. You will keep your FIBR router with WiFi turned off, and replace M5 with X60.

This will be your network topology after replacement:

ISP provided FIBR ROUTER (no wifi) > Main Mesh node X60 (wifi6) > mesh nodes X60 (wifi6)

----------

Hint: if you have settings and customizations in your current Deco mesh you want to seamlessly transfer to new X60s, it is possible to do that. Make one new X60 join your mesh network. Promote it to Main Node. Add rest of X60s to your mesh. Delete all M5s from your mesh. Done. (use Deco app to add, promote and remove Deco units).

Options
Re:WIFI6
2021-07-06 22:14:37

@Alexandre. 

thank you very much for the simole explanation and help!

cheers!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 368

Replies: 2

Related Articles