DHCP Server running in both router and Access Point mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-14 19:45:38
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.1 Build 20210204 Rel. 50164

As a service advisory, I have logged a ticket with TP support providing evidence that X60 v2 on latest firmware has a significant bug in that the DHCP server is operating in both router and access point mode despite the assurances in their documentation that the DHCP server is non operational in Access Point mode. This is causing some serious election battles as I end up having my router's DHCP fighting with X60 which should not be running. The major issue is the X60 is setting all wired and wireless clients default gateway to point it itself (X60s IP address). I have several logs from the builtin syslog daemon running on the X60 to indicate an operational DHCP server. The work around I am using for now is to set up DHCP reservations from my router for all devices being served by my router. I am still waiting for confirmation from the L2 support I have been working with over the past two days.

Options
1 Reply
Re:DHCP Server running in both router and Access Point mode
2021-08-15 00:28:31 - last edited 2021-08-15 00:32:37

@sdafasdf 

If this is the same software logic as in Deco M-series (M4/M5/M9Plus), its smart DHCP server is only supposed to turn on in AP mode when no other DHCP servers are present on the network.

>The major issue is the X60 is setting all wired and wireless clients default gateway to point it itself (X60s IP address).

In my tests, this only happens when I power off or unplug ISP Router on my home network. My ISP Router is default gateway, DNS server and DHCP server for my home network.

When ISP Router disappears, Main Deco declares itself default gateway, DHCP server and one of two DNS servers. Interestingly, it still advertises ISP Router IP address as second DNS server.

As soon as I turn on (plug back) ISP Router and Main Deco recognizes there is another DHCP server present, it yields to that DHCP server. Because Main Deco distributes IP addresses with DHCP lease time under 2-3 minutes, network should recover rapidly. At least, in theory.

The issue that people have found was if ISP Router or standalone DHCP server users run on their network also has Smart DHCP logic. In that case, suppose ISP router restarted. Main Deco takes role of DHCP server. ISP Router comes back, realizes another DHCP server is already present and yields to it. Main Deco keeps running as DHCP server and default gateway. Not a desirable outcome.

The workaround is to find setting in ISP router or standalone DHCP server which says "start DHCP server even if another DHCP server is present on the network" and enable it.

According to TP-Link support, ability to turn off Smart DHCP for Access Point mode will come with firmware version 1.6.

Options