Connecting 2 Router LAN to LAN in Router Mode for WR940N

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-27 08:46:16
Model: TL-WR940N  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: 3.20.1 Build 200316 Rel.34392n (4555)

Hi Guys,

I need some help to setup my WR940N Router to connect it to another router via ethernet cable (LAN to LAN) in basic router mode (not access point mode). Is it doable? and is it correct to use both the LAN port on both router?

Previously, I successfully connecting my WR940N to the main router by using access point mode, but, in AP mode, it seems that a lot of WR940N features which available in the Router Mode is hidden when I used the AP mode for the WR940N.

So, now I try to connect the WR940N to my main router but using the Basic Router Mode. But so far, I still failed to establish the internet connection in my WR940N.

I also try using the WAN port, so LAN to WAN (Lan port on main router, and WAN port on WR940N), in this case I was able to establish the connection to internet successfully, but the devices that connected to my main router cannot access the devices that connected to my WR940N, it seems that these 2 routers has their own network. I need to form one network that work as in AP mode (which both router working in the same local network) but still has access to the WR940N features as in Basic Router Mode.

Please help, so far, I still didn't find any answer to this problem.. :(

Options
1 Reply
Re:Connecting 2 Router LAN to LAN in Router Mode for WR940N
2021-08-27 09:34:47

@LieLianX 

Here's the difference between router and AP mode features.

When you use connection LAN port to WAN port you're introducing double NAT in your network - hence the problems you've described.

To achieve what you want (LAN to LAN connection between devices) try the manual AP mode - Case 2.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options