TP-Link AC1750 and DNS issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-18 11:30:42
Model: RE450  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hi! I'm in the UK and yesterday I installed a new TP-Link AC1750 wifi extender to improve wifi coverage from my Sky Q broadband router in the upstairs part of our house so that the four bedrooms get good connectivity. One bedroom is my home office.

The extender works just fine and pairing it with the Sky broadband router downstairs in my house  was simplicity itself via the WPS option. All devices in the house upstairs connect and now show full strength connections on whichever bands they're connected to, 2.4 and 5.

The issue I have is with DNS. Accessing websites on my primary office computer, a Dell XPS desktop system running Windows 10, started producing DNS errors, ie, error messages on no DNS found, very slow loading of pages resulting in further DNS errors. Similar experience with a Dell XPS Windows 10 laptop although not as much.

I've done several things including flushing DNS via ipconfig, refreshing the DNS cache, adding Google DNS servers to the wifi adapter settings, and troubleshooting which apps start up with Windows.

Not much difference that I can tell - I still get the errors. If I remove the TP Link device (unplug it), everything is back to normal.

The product itself is pretty good and I can't imagine this is an error in this product. But maybe it is. Would anyone have any insights or ideas on what next steps I could take? Thanks.

Options
3 Reply
Re:TP-Link AC1750 and DNS issues
2021-09-20 20:06:18

In the end, I returned the device to Amazon for a refund. While I know my way around computers and simple networking equipment, the rigmaroles in configuring this device to be a worthwhile tool were not worth the time spent nor still required.

Options
2021-09-22 08:30:03 - last edited 2021-09-22 08:32:47

Hello @Luke717 , it is a pity to hear that you've returned the unit and we really appreciate your time for writing this detailed post.

I would leave some troubleshooting tips in case other users met the same problem.  

DNS error on Windows generally means 'no Internet connection ' , if range extender Leds are On, but has no Interent, you could try to reboot the main router. 
Try to turn on range extender DHCP server and set up a smaller IP range within router's IP range as the guide here:  
Has connected to TP-Link extender but no internet, what can I do?
https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/198516

Options
2021-09-22 10:56:40

Hello @Solla-topee thanks for your comments.

It may well be that the issue does lie mainly with Sky as I see many comments in the Sky community forum and various other places online that Sky's broadband routers do not play well with any third-party brand extender or booster. Of course, these are anecdotal comments from users and I have not seen anything from Sky themselves.

Still, my experience suggests this may be the case. As I explained in my post, when using the TP-Link product I have all the issues I mentioned. If I unplug the TP Link product to use only the wifi connection from the Sky router, I have none of these problems. No DNS errors, no slow page loading, nothing that impacts my use of wifi.

Your product is well made and making a connection with a router is very easy. It's just that it doesn't work with a Sky broadband router.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2076

Replies: 3

Related Articles